Torment: Tides of Numenera

Moderator: Milldawg

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by Hercanic »

17 days left to go on Kickstarter with a budget goal of $900,000. They're currently at 2.7 million.

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by Lavarinth »

This is the Kickstarter that instantly raised all their funds within an hour, was it?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

If you're expecting the original Torment you're not likely to get it. Chris Avellone who wrote the vast majority of the Torment isn't involved with this at all.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

wibod wrote:If you're expecting the original Torment you're not likely to get it. Chris Avellone who wrote the vast majority of the Torment isn't involved with this at all.
Nor is it even in the same setting, and I'd argue that Sigil and the Planescape setting added a lot of flavour to the game. I'm not familiar with Numenera at all, but Planescape it is almost certainly not. That said though, the game's a spiritual successor. The point, and the source of its massive Kickstarter popularity, is that its drawing on the same themes and elements presented by Planescape: Torment; not that its a sequel, remake or complete rehash of it.

That said though, inXile's got a tall order ahead of them. Obsidian's been trying to recapture the same magic that Planescape: Torment had too. They haven't succeeded yet, and they have Chris Avellone on their team.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Thalraxal wrote:
wibod wrote:If you're expecting the original Torment you're not likely to get it. Chris Avellone who wrote the vast majority of the Torment isn't involved with this at all.
Nor is it even in the same setting, and I'd argue that Sigil and the Planescape setting added a lot of flavour to the game. I'm not familiar with Numenera at all, but Planescape it is almost certainly not. That said though, the game's a spiritual successor. The point, and the source of its massive Kickstarter popularity, is that its drawing on the same themes and elements presented by Planescape: Torment; not that its a sequel, remake or complete rehash of it.

That said though, inXile's got a tall order ahead of them. Obsidian's been trying to recapture the same magic that Planescape: Torment had too. They haven't succeeded yet, and they have Chris Avellone on their team.
Numenera is apparently pretty well defined and relatively liked from what I've heard, which is pretty surprising since it's a very new tabletop setting. The only positive thing about Torment right now is that Brian Mitsoda is involved, and he wrote the story for Bloodlines. On the other hand, Mur Lafferty apparently wrote some pretty shitty fluff for pen and paper games and is prone to shoving her views down peoples throats.

I think KotOR 2 and Alpha Protocol definitely captured and expanded on a lot of the ideas presented in Torment. I think KotOR 2 is probably the best game penned by Avellone, because it applied a lot of the ideas and themes present in Torment to a relatively black and white setting. Mask of the Betrayer is supposed to be a lot like Torment storywise, but I haven't played it so I can't comment on that.
JoelS
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by JoelS »

Monte Cook is the guy who invented Numenera, and he is at the center of the new Torment game. He also created a great deal of material for the D&D Planescape setting... so he probably has a good chance to capture the flavor of the original game even if the specific names and places are different.

I really enjoyed Mask of the Betrayer, though I would rank it under PS:T and KOTOR2 in terms of memorability. I do recall it having a nuanced and morally complex story, though it didn't have any characters as good as Kreia or most of the cast from PS:T. If I had more time on my hands, I'd re-play MotB (and maybe NWN2 as well, which was fairly analogous to KOTOR1 in that both were more lighthearted adventures than the more serious, pensive followups by Obsidian).

I'm very much looking forward to the new Torment, Project Eternity, and Wasteland 2... (and Star Citizen and Elite and and and...) It's really a grand experiment, seeing how games will turn out when they are being made by people who care greatly about the end product and don't have anyone interfering with them getting it right. Even if they are not the Greatest Games Ever, I can't see how any of this is a bad thing.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Woo, Star Citizen!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I certainly didn't find anything notable about NWN2. I got pretty bored of it about 20-30 minutes in, putting aside the utter joke the engine and game assets are, and never touched it since. Incomparable to torment for sure. Haven't played the other titles being mentioned. I've heard mask of the betrayer is good but I can't imagine anything being enjoyable in that hideous mess that NWN2 is.

I consider NWN2 one of the greatest disappointments of all of gaming. Only things more disappointing would be Sc2 and Earth 2160.

As much as I want project eternity to be good, I remain skeptical until it's in my hands. Too many times, you buttery interns. Too many times.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

I think they picked up avellone now. Cause money.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

only if they hit $3.5m and even then it'll be in a relatively minor consulting role
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

wibod wrote:
Thalraxal wrote:

Numenera is apparently pretty well defined and relatively liked from what I've heard, which is pretty surprising since it's a very new tabletop setting. The only positive thing about Torment right now is that Brian Mitsoda is involved, and he wrote the story for Bloodlines. On the other hand, Mur Lafferty apparently wrote some pretty shitty fluff for pen and paper games and is prone to shoving her views down peoples throats.

I think KotOR 2 and Alpha Protocol definitely captured and expanded on a lot of the ideas presented in Torment. I think KotOR 2 is probably the best game penned by Avellone, because it applied a lot of the ideas and themes present in Torment to a relatively black and white setting. Mask of the Betrayer is supposed to be a lot like Torment storywise, but I haven't played it so I can't comment on that.
KOTOR2 definately came close to recapturing whatever Torment had. It came so close, but ultimately got cut short when it got rushed out the door for a Christmas release by Lucas Arts. I got about half-way through NWN2 before playing Dragon Age 1, and could not get back into it at all afterwards. Still haven't touched Mask of the Betrayer, so I can't say much about it.
JoelS wrote:Monte Cook is the guy who invented Numenera, and he is at the center of the new Torment game. He also created a great deal of material for the D&D Planescape setting... so he probably has a good chance to capture the flavor of the original game even if the specific names and places are different.

I really enjoyed Mask of the Betrayer, though I would rank it under PS:T and KOTOR2 in terms of memorability. I do recall it having a nuanced and morally complex story, though it didn't have any characters as good as Kreia or most of the cast from PS:T. If I had more time on my hands, I'd re-play MotB (and maybe NWN2 as well, which was fairly analogous to KOTOR1 in that both were more lighthearted adventures than the more serious, pensive followups by Obsidian).

I'm very much looking forward to the new Torment, Project Eternity, and Wasteland 2... (and Star Citizen and Elite and and and...) It's really a grand experiment, seeing how games will turn out when they are being made by people who care greatly about the end product and don't have anyone interfering with them getting it right. Even if they are not the Greatest Games Ever, I can't see how any of this is a bad thing.
I like Sigil and Planescape a lot, and so for me it was one of the big draws to Planescape: Torment. I can't see Numenera capturing the same flavour of the Planescape setting, just because so much of it was specific to the nature of Planescape itself. Numenera is a new setting with its own distinct flavours, and they're not going to be the same as Planescape's. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. As they've got the setting's creator on the team, there's so much more that they can do story and settingwise that Black Isle couldn't have done in Planescape: Torment with their lisence to make a Planescape game.