I'm back

Moderator: Milldawg

chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

I'm back

Post by chris »

man it has been years... How are you guys doing? I pretty much left when I saw the price tag and the regional locks on SC2. I found it unacceptable, but with the imminent release of heart of the swarm and a 24% sale if you buy both I am tempted to give SC2 a chance despite activision's abhorrent behaviour.

How come there is no talk of SC2 mods? At first glance, after all these years there seems to be is no update to the main website in terms of SC2....

Still hoping for the release of LotC one day...
Last edited by chris on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: I'm back

Post by Lavarinth »

Welcome back, chris. Mods aren't as easily distributed as SC due to Blizzard's stance on possibly considering it hacking. Though it seems HotS may have greater mod support with the art tools releasing, I doubt we'll see anything set in stone until the second expansion in regards to mods.

Campaigns on the other hand, from my understanding, people are still trying to even just link maps at times.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

The only campaign project I know of that's finished is the SC1 to SC2 remake, but those guys did a super good job so I strongly suggest you check it out. Other than that, most projects didn't seem to make it far or just never got finished, sadly.

Anyway welcome back. I hope you produce some campaigns or mods or something, I could always use something to play!
chris

Post by chris »

I did some googling and it seems the regional locks are gone now, is this true?
Jim_Raynor wrote: Anyway welcome back. I hope you produce some campaigns or mods or something, I could always use something to play!
My prime in starcraft was during my childhood in lebanon. In those days, internet was just a distant dream. Despite this, I did get my hands on mods, and I did in fact made a 3 chapter sequel to a mod..... this without any access to the internet or any SC players. I played and replayed starcraft for years.

Now I'm 24, obsessed with finding a chinese wife, and searching for a job, so I have little time for making mods unfourtunately. Take me back 12 years and I could probably have made great contributions however if lebanon had decent internet (It only just got decent internet 15 months ago).

One thing I definitely want to do is play or replay SC1 campaigns, especially those from a competition that was held back in 2009.
Church

Post by Church »

I think I know the competition you're referring to, if you mean the CC one. Don't play my campaign for it.

Other than that, go wild! There were some great campaigns in it like Vile Egression, and Desler's campaign The Sweet Science had some very interesting dialogue and stuff, and my personal favourite was Echoes. There's probably some other gems in there, too.
chris

Post by chris »

Jim_Raynor wrote:I think I know the competition you're referring to, if you mean the CC one. Don't play my campaign for it.
Man, when I saw your first post in this thread I knew that I had seen you before, now I remember!
Yes, I am referring to that competition :]
Jim_Raynor wrote:SC1 to SC2 remake
Good job,, you just convinced me to buy SCII now.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Lavarinth wrote:Welcome back, chris. Mods aren't as easily distributed as SC due to Blizzard's stance on possibly considering it hacking.
I actually have official confirmation that they do consider it hacking and you'll be banned on the spot if they figure out you're doing it. I used my sources to get an official inquiry on the matter a time ago.

This is ironic because of Browder expressing liking the team color mods and stuff people were using right before blizzard started doing all they could to stop them.
chris

Post by chris »

IskatuMesk wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:This is ironic because of Browder expressing liking the team color mods and stuff people were using right before blizzard started doing all they could to stop them.
probably because activision made them do it.

I wish activision and blizzard would divorce already... Let activision keep its shit to itself.

On another note, my 3:4 monitor died 2 months ago and I am stuck playing the original SC1 with everything stretched on my laptop's 16:9 screen. Does anyone have any ideas on how you could get the right aspect ratio in starcraft 1?
Church

Post by Church »