Old & Aging Game Discussion

Moderator: Milldawg

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Re: Old & Aging Game Discussion

Post by Falchion »

The 2nd day.

Beforehand:

- Concerning System Shock, ya, the Many was the Overmind of the time. But I'd still do SHODAN.

- Fallout's favourite is and always will be: Sergeant Dornan.

So, now on to sci-fi related.

Little Big Adventure 2
-OR-
Twinsen's Odyssey

The 3d RPG attempt by Adeline Productions doesn't have any violence or blood or gore, and maybe the most laughable dialogue ever, but what counts is the immersion and how free you were to explore each and every island. How consequences affected you. You could face angry robotic elefants, security droids, psychotic sausages, big head aliens, giant spiders and tazmanian devils with nothing but a FUCKING ball. You could mess with a starports controls and laugh a lot as a saucer would crash than drunkly fly away. You could even hump cows for extra life! Seriously, you can't get something better than this...

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
The Oddworld saga was one of my favorites in the pre-2000s, with cutscene quality that dared to SPIT at Blizzard's face at the time. I'd normally choose the first because of it's lore and immersion, but gameplay avoided it: Abe's Oddysee is simply fucking difficult. There were no simplified Quick saves, saving was done on specific points where you could tell by a diamond, enemies killed you fast and controls were clunky. Abe's Exoddus, while diverting more to humour instead of lore, improved gameplay CONSIDERABLY, that's why it's here.

O.R.B. - Off-World Resource Base
ORB is somewhat like of Homeworld's little copy-cat with the exception he never breeded sequels. But, concerning Relic's work, it's way superior and underrated. Decent lore and mechanics, fine music and the best voice effect engineering earned my heart for Malus X Alyssians way more than Kushan X Taiidan. Not only recommended but I also felt it deserved WAY more.

Finally...

Conquest: Frontier Wars.

Basically, Starcraft turned Wing Commander. Would you like to know more?

Back soon with some raucous bad games too.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Linaze
Terran Barracks Laundry Master
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by Linaze »

HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

This topic is becoming a nice to-do list for me. :)

My contribution:

The Longest Journey

Best adventure game I had the pleasure of playing, and finishing. It's a very long journey indeed-- it was released on 4 CDs at the time. Amazing writing, in every aspect. The creator Ragnar Tornquist really crafted an exceptional tale with this game. The futuristic world of Stark and the magical realm of Arcadia, with their respective denizens, were such inspiring and lovable settings. The Longest Journey was one of the most memorable experiences I've had in gaming, if not the most.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

EVWeb
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by EVWeb »

I will go over some of my favorite old Mac OS 9 games. I won't list StarCraft or Diablo 2 since they've already been listed.

Star Conquest - complex, but has many automated features and an interface that doesn't get in the way.

Future Cop: LAPD - let's nothing get in the way of blowing shit up.

Escape Velocity - space based action rpg-ish game, with great combat and a lively universe
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Now, the 3rd day, the most raucous stuff I've got...

Kingdom Under Fire: A War of Heroes
KUF: WoH is a literal mixup of Starcraft, Warcraft II and Diablo and just as awful as a kitbash can be. The most offending voice acting, gameplay, glitches, AI and story can be found right here. Terrain style and mapping is the same as SC: BW and so willing to spit right on Blizzard's face. Oh, yes, and it's way before our eastern buddies decided this needed some serious overhaul...

Knights and Merchants (Both The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion):
WARNING: NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH WARLORDS AND MERCHANTS, THE SC 2 MAP!
IMO, K&M would be fine for me, with decent graphics and sounds, were not for three things: Stupid AI (Civilian and Combat), clumsy pathing and heavy dependency on archers. Yes, you heard it right, how best you could win a fight was in how many Bowmen and Crossbowmen you could muster and the size of your meat shield (Lancers, Pikers, Scouts, Knights, Militia and Axe/Sword fighters). And, by clumsy pathing, it's way behind Caesar/Pharaoh/Zeus games, where, here, you can build a traffic jam with your Serfs the size of a usual LA Rush Hour...

NecroVisioN
NecroVisioN was one that called my attention, but, unfortunately, one that spits you in the face. Enviroment is all right, but lower graphic quality, the most awful voice acting even Mesk can ever imagine, moron AI and stupid gameplay ruined it so much you can't even call it a console port, but rather an offense to the whole gaming industry. Also, they put a ROMANTIC song in the credits, WTF??? Not to mention gameplay is Bulletstorm's earliest, bastard cousin...

Edited to include this too...

Massive Assault - Domination
Domination and the whole of Massive Assault saga is what you can call not only an offensive to TBS, but also an insult to indie developers. It's TERRIBLE! You get a string of the lowest graphics in the previous known graphic industry, awful voice acting, imbecile mission design and most of the voices don't EVEN match their subtitles. The only thing saving this is the AI, which is competent. Simply awful!
Last edited by Falchion on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

D.U.P.A.

Post by D.U.P.A. »

Falchion, your post is misleading. The game isn't called Kingdom Under Fire: The Age of Heroes, but Kingdom Under Fire: A War of Heroes
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

D.U.P.A. wrote:Falchion, your post is misleading. The game isn't called Kingdom Under Fire: The Age of Heroes, but Kingdom Under Fire: A War of Heroes
/corrected.

/added new game I forgot previously.

Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

Funny thing about Kingdom Under Fire, when it first came out, I bought it because it said it had a campaign editor. But it only had a map editor, no units or triggers or anything, just terrain. So I emailed them asking about the possibilities of a real campaign editor because I wanted to make campaigns. The email exchange grew pretty long between me and one of the guys and it eventually led to me talking with the VP of the company on MSN messenger about writing their next outline for the sequel. Unfortunately right after that, some asshole on my buddie's list infected my messenger with a bug that constantly made ";)" in messages. So the guy thought I was getting my mac on him and he flipped out and I never heard from them again. Hurray!

In my day, I played the hell out of some Gazillionaire
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

I always loved Escape Velocity.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

I love Civ III.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Civ3, still a great game.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Oh hells ya!

Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

The original Doom, anyone?

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (mostly the demo)

"Alright Jones, how are you going to find that statue in all this junk?"
*que jones falling through random spots in the introduction*

And who could forget Jazz Jackrabbit?