Getting to know the community

Moderator: Milldawg

Linaze
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Getting to know the community

Post by Linaze »

Hello there, fellow members of CC.

I'm new around here, so I thought I'd try to get to know the community a bit better. Simply put: Who are you guys, and what're your stories?

Starting with myself, my name is Joar, AKA Linaze on the internet, and I hail from the nordic land of Sweden. I'm 18 years old, and have been into map-making (Warcraft III) for five or so years. Well, I did do some modding prior to that, but back then I was such a noob it doesn't count. I also fooled around a bit in the Star Editor when I was 9 or 10 or so, but as you can guess, whatever I managed to create as far as maps or campaigns go, it sucked really hard.

Right now, I'm working on a campaign project for the contest here, and that is also the reason why I became a member at this site. I usually hang around the Hive Workshop, so people visit that site may or may not know me from there.

That's the story of me. Now, who are you guys?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Getting to know the community

Post by IskatuMesk »

I started Brood War modding in 1999 with AI and soon entered total conversions around 2000-2001ish with Stardraft. I fooled around in a lot of other games including Warcraft 3 along the way, releasing the last of my major Starcraft mods in 2009. Unfortunately along the way I also made an ass of myself as I was young and brash, and not many of my projects reached any meaningful stage of completion. When Starcraft 2 beta hit I became a caster of insignificant reknown, expanding my voice acting experience to that of commentating and such.

Along the way I also picked up the CC podcast and, if Lavarinth would actually be available for a change, would like to get an episode out regarding the contest sooner than later.

Ah. My story is long-winded and not very interesting, so I'll keep it at that. Hive Workshop probably hates my guts anyway. I'm 24 now, with all of that energy that helped me in the past drained out and gone, so I don't really know what my next step will be. I am considering attempting a game project in the UDK.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

i am the most important member of this community
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Mucky wrote:i am the most important member of this community
+1
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

I'm one of the younger members of the community, as I only joined a couple years back. I think the first thing I did was request, like, six or so people to help me with my campaign. Argh.

I think half my time back then was spent trying to look cool and ending up looking really, really stupid. The first campaign I released was StarCraft: Reuniting for the campaign contest in 2009.

After that I dissapeared for a while, but I returned later with another StarCraft campaign known only as StarCraft: Gas.

Since then I've released a couple more projects and made myself a little more known with The NOMAD Saga, though otherwise I haven't really done much here, and somehow I skip most of the drama.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

hihi i know u from wc3c
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Well, you could say I'm one of the least important, although I managed to get attention one time and another...
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Linaze

Post by Linaze »

Alevice wrote:hihi i know u from wc3c
Hey, it's you!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Falchion wrote:
Well, you could say I'm one of the least important, although I managed to get attention one time and another...
Oh, Falchion, always a jokester.

I'm Lavarinth, I run this place. I've ran places like this 1999, and weaseled my way to CC, but apparently it's all for the better.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Falchion
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Lavarinth wrote:
Falchion wrote:
Oh, Falchion, always a jokester.
What you mean with that? I don't do much shit around here, that's why I consider myself an unimportant person...
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

LunaSaint
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by LunaSaint »

Seeing as there's no introductions topic, I guess I'll say hi here. o/

I'm LunaSaint, and also came because I was intruiged by the campaign contest. I've messed around with editors since WCII and SC, but never really did anything impressive. But I've always had that thirst for tinkering.

Since I got into SC2, I've spent a lot of time making melee maps, but avoiding anything more complicated than editing terrain texture sets, because the data editor is far more messy than WC3's.

I'll probably (no promises just yet, granted) enter the campaign contest, and see what I can get out of the game's engine. I love designing environments in the editor, and I already have a good idea for a plot's backbone. If anyone knows what a Rogue Trader is, well that's basically what the campaign will be about.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Greetings, I am essentially the game event leader of this place.

Every Saturday, there is the FFS (Frenzied Firebat Saturday) gaming event at 9:00 pm GMT -5 (Eastern Time) on the SC2 US servers (damn server splits). The meeting channel is "Campaign Creations". We tend to play only custom maps rather than pure melee games.

A common played map is "Warlords and Merchants" during the event which I made it. It's based on melee but with added campaign units for the melee players (named as "Warlords") and there are Merchants which train units and get researches to sell to Warlords while attempting the highest profit possible. While many of us like this map, some are turned off due to the map being more computer intensive and not everyone wants to upgrade their stuff.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Keynote - Ricky is French.
High_Zealot
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by High_Zealot »

Well I'm highzealot. I'm also one of the young people here and you may not see me post much. You will see me in the user onlines area every so often. I also do some dwarf fortress in the blogs which are usually updated at least once a week. I used to join FFS but now I'm taking a long long break from it. I may return by the christmas break. I have minor experience in minor modding but I do know a bit about mapping in SCBW though I haven't done anything is SCBW for some time. I seem to fail to hate things usually though I am easily influenced and finally, the below is true.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Well, I'm a lonesome 15 years old who could usually been found creating content of all kind (I make mods, I design maps, I even write stuff, draw concept arts, makes movies,...). However, I just start making content like 2 years ago so I'm not exactly what you called and experienced modder. To really understand how I got here, one must know hoe I knew about Starcraft and CC in the first place:

Similar to the story of most Vietnamese Starcraft players, I knew StarCraft since I was 5, and back then I need cheats to play Starcraft. The practice of typing "Power Overwhelming" very slowly in the chat bar became compulsory and I knew jack shit about the storyline as I don't know English at that time. Because the Starcraft version I played is portable and somehow disallow me to save my progress, after a while I just quit playing Starcraft in total.

Then when I was 10, I got back into playing Starcraft after mastering English, and I was deeply intrigued by the storyline. I got so interested in the storyline that I started searching for Starcraft online (My mom bought me an internet modem when I was 10, and Starcraft was the first thing I searched :) ). It is probably then that I also saw a glimpse of Armageddon Onslaught in one of Mesk's demonstration video on Youtube, and my first reaction to that was: "Lol, Age of Starcraft?"

Then a year ago, after a long HL2 modding session, I discovered that Starcraft 2 was announced to be released, so I began to search for it. And by some luck, I stumbled upon Mesk again with his ZAPOC AI demonstration video (I was working on AI at that time so I though that was interesting). I watched the thing whole while at the same time praising Mesk's sense of understanding with Starcraft AI. His voice was kind of gay in the video though by some reason (IMO), and the more I hear it the more it reminds me of Oliver Pettigrew (which is strange because his normal voice is like the epic-center of manlyness). And so after a year of watching Mesk-casts and laughing my balls off so hard I climax, I looked into this "Campaign Creation" thingy that Mesk refers to all the time. I began to observe some of the projects here like W&M. However, just recently I though to my self: "How about I make a KILLER campaign?". And so I decided to join the site and began to embark on a journey to make the most insane, silly and over-the-top piece of content I've ever strive to produce, with no actual knowledge of StarEdit or Starcraft modding of anykind, and just solely relies on my past experience working with other titles such as HL2 or Blitzkrieg.

Yup, that's about it.

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka