Diablo 3 beta

Moderator: Milldawg

User avatar

Hercanic
a.k.a. the REAL Lavarinth
a.k.a. the REAL Lavarinth
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Hercanic » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Lavarinth wrote:Personally, I couldn't stand Diablo reciting every boss' name.. "Iskatu.. get him" "Boss 2.. get her" "Tyrael look it's Boss 3" ... Thought you were busy conquering heaven, why you peering over my shoulder, bro-err.. chick? err.. bro?

You know what the demon lord's writing reminds me of? Those bad cartoon villians of our childhood. Also, way too much adjective use. If D3 wasn't giving me Error 37 right now, I'd fish out some examples.
Image
                                                         We mod Starcraft.

User avatar

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby RazorclawX » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Lavarinth wrote:Personally, I couldn't stand Diablo reciting every boss' name.. "Iskatu.. get him" "Boss 2.. get her" "Tyrael look it's Boss 3" ... Thought you were busy conquering heaven, why you peering over my shoulder, bro-err.. chick? err.. bro?


Miss the days when all Mephisto said to you was "My brothers have escaped you!" or "You're too late! Hahahahahah!" (which one he says is random)?
Image
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future

User avatar

Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Alevice » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 am

Looking for Baal?

User avatar

Eredalis
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Eredalis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:06 am

Not even death can save you from me.

User avatar

Milldawg
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: US
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Milldawg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 am

I found this article to be excellent/hilarious/eye-opening: http://www.gamefront.com/diablo-3s-stor ... ent-wrong/

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Lavarinth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am

Eredalis wrote:Not even death can save you from me.


Apparently a blatant lie by Diablo as Hell is simply a different "world," or "dimension" if you will. Death would save you from him. :3

Also, let's not forget Baal: "Aahahaha" ... "hahahaha" ... "Aaaaaahahahahaha" ... "Eeeuuuururgheehhuuhuehuehuhg"

It may just be from repetitive lines, but I find myself enjoying the Templar's lines than the story's lines. "Glorious!" I enjoy it almost as much as "You may not pass."
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Canada, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby UntamedLoli » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Image
Image

User avatar

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby DrumsofWar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 pm


User avatar

Eredalis
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Eredalis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:59 am

Absolutely awesome! Image


Gradius
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:04 am
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Gradius » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Milldawg wrote:I found this article to be excellent/hilarious/eye-opening: http://www.gamefront.com/diablo-3s-stor ... ent-wrong/

Not bad. However, this one remains my favorite: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4o ... edit?pli=1

Be warned though, it takes underhanded bashing to a new level. This paragraph here for example sums up pretty much everything that is wrong with the Blizzard storytelling department:

The failure here begins with the fact that it's a linear story that has, until now, maintained
an overall commitment to a dark and serious aesthetic that is both Gothic in theme and
tonality. Diablo 3 breaks this form. It seems to be ambivalent or confused as to whether
it should maintain its own mythological ambiance or make hundreds of cheap, stupid
puns, anachronistic pop-culture references, obnoxious swagger, and exploitation of
trite contemporary action movie clichés -- and that barely even scratches the surface.
At the very least breaks canon in tone and theme. Never break canon.

Parenthetically, I am aware of the couple tongue-in-cheek jokes in the previous Diablo
titles, but where those work and these do not, lay in subtlety and the nature of tongue-
in-cheek -- the ability to parody ones own seriousness. The "levity" in D3 has all the
refinement, subtlety and wit necessary to entertain an illiterate, homophobic,
pre-pubescent, mic spamming, XBOX fan-boy. A demographic who's brow is
as low as your bar. The very same demographic which has provided approx. 70% of
positive-bias feedback on D3 via mutilated grammar and flaming -- that is if your own
forums are any kind of yardstick in this matter.

User avatar

Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Thalraxal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Gradius wrote:
Milldawg wrote:I found this article to be excellent/hilarious/eye-opening: http://www.gamefront.com/diablo-3s-stor ... ent-wrong/

Not bad. However, this one remains my favorite: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4o ... edit?pli=1

Be warned though, it takes underhanded bashing to a new level. This paragraph here for example sums up pretty much everything that is wrong with the Blizzard storytelling department:

The failure here begins with the fact that it's a linear story that has, until now, maintained
an overall commitment to a dark and serious aesthetic that is both Gothic in theme and
tonality. Diablo 3 breaks this form. It seems to be ambivalent or confused as to whether
it should maintain its own mythological ambiance or make hundreds of cheap, stupid
puns, anachronistic pop-culture references, obnoxious swagger, and exploitation of
trite contemporary action movie clichés -- and that barely even scratches the surface.
At the very least breaks canon in tone and theme. Never break canon.

Parenthetically, I am aware of the couple tongue-in-cheek jokes in the previous Diablo
titles, but where those work and these do not, lay in subtlety and the nature of tongue-
in-cheek -- the ability to parody ones own seriousness. The "levity" in D3 has all the
refinement, subtlety and wit necessary to entertain an illiterate, homophobic,
pre-pubescent, mic spamming, XBOX fan-boy. A demographic who's brow is
as low as your bar. The very same demographic which has provided approx. 70% of
positive-bias feedback on D3 via mutilated grammar and flaming -- that is if your own
forums are any kind of yardstick in this matter.


That single paragraph pretty much confirms everything I was worried about D3 failing to do. Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 were fantastic examples of Dark Fantasy because of their focus on atmosphere, so it's sad, but not surprising, that Blizzard failed to live up to that.

Arg, when did pop culture references replace actual writing?

User avatar

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Canada, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby UntamedLoli » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Writing costs money, Kotick can't have that.

/e

The entire game is based off the previous 2. You don't ever actually see anything new in 3.
Image
Image

User avatar

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: M͈̙̞͍͞ͅE̹H̨͇̰͈͕͇̫Ì̩̳CO̼̩̤͖͘
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Thalraxal wrote:Arg, when did pop culture references replace actual writing?



Warcraft 3.

Blizzard is and has always been a mediocre company post-2000. Where they are now was based on the passion of the original wc, diablo, and starcraft. Passion that stopped existing a long time ago. They rode success and good marketing to where they are now, and when they inevitably die they will not be missed.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

User avatar

Falchion
Zerg Broodling Dance Instructor
Zerg Broodling Dance Instructor
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby Falchion » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:49 am

Funny, and I thought it started with Diablo 2.

No, wait, it still had a dark ambience... Nevermind.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Image

User avatar

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: M͈̙̞͍͞ͅE̹H̨͇̰͈͕͇̫Ì̩̳CO̼̩̤͖͘
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 am

Diablo 2 vanilla was pretty good. At a point it was nearly perfect. But LoD was a huge hack and everything 1.10 and after just threw the game down the gutter.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest