New & Upcoming game discussion.

Moderator: Milldawg

Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Re: New & Upcoming game discussion.

Post by Theia_Loki »

Since october is roughly a month away, it might be worth taking a look at inFamous 2: Fetsival of Blood.
PS3-exclusive that'll be available for purchase on PSN by then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7r2wWaBhgI
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

as far as shootan games go, Hard Reset looks pretty cool :3
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Yeah and they didn't mangle the camera controls with mouse smoothing/acceleration. I wants Skyrim/TERA.

Meanwhile Dead Island was released on PC with a dev build and AMD managed to store 1.5mil Dirt3 Steam keys in txt files out in the open for the video card promo.

lol
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

So. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

I heard good things about it and commanded HKS to download it and try it. His opinion was not so shining. In fact, he went as far to call it Ace Combat: Modern Warfare. Terrified, I was forced to update my ps3 for the first time since the PSN went down and get it myself. After a half-hour of vague errors when attempting to download the damn demo, I was seated into what I can only describe as Ace Combat: Casual Lardfare.

At first glance it seems to be the same ol Ace Combat we love, but it seems the casual market has hit Japan in the horse.

The biggest new thing they've added is DFM. I thought this stood for "Dongs For Mothers", but it actually means Dog Fighting Mode. It's a way of automating the process of chasing and attacking enemies, and is mandatory for "Ace pilots" which have an astounding reluctance for opening fire on you. I guess they realized that you have fucking nanites aboard your aircraft that autorepair you and attacking is pointless. This, on top of the CINEMATIC CAMERA that hijacks your view every time something happens, taking virtually no environmental damage (totally immune in the Helicopter), removes quite a lot from the game while not really adding anything new.

Something that is new, however, is the helicopter mission. It's not too bad in hindsight, lacking the annoying RMF mode and the cinematic camera, but it isn't really challenging either. To avoid missiles you hit L+R and fucking barrel roll, and the missiles magically fuck off into the abyss. I haven't ever seen an Apache barrel roll like that before. In fact, your helicopter is definitely from the future, since it seems to be equipped with anti-gravity style controls anyways. Thankfully for your allies, their bodies will remain firmly planted on the ground if you are to try to stick their heads into your exhaust. As much as I wanted, I couldn't get my allies killed.

What the loving christ did they do.

While I don't think the game is particularly bad (although very disorienting and confusing) it definitely isn't Ace Combat.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Rage. I bought it. I played an hour of it. I don't get what all the hype was about? It's like Fallout 3.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

There was hype for that game? O.o
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

Whenever I think of helicopters and barrel rolls, I can't get this out of my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERzuOTWh ... ure=fvwrel
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

Dark Souls. I want this game so bad.

Little trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/bartholomew-trailer-dark-souls/719513
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I just bought Demon Souls. Don't know anything about it other than it's hard.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'll LP Demon Souls first but I intend to buy Dark Souls ASAP anyways.

Also, SOOOULLLLSSSS DAAAARRRKKK
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

I love the hell out of Demon's Souls. Mesk, I think it's a game you would like. Lots of giant demons and dragons and lots and lots of fire, and things that are on fire. Especially you, you will be on fire a lot.

Anyway, I got the Dark Souls Collector's Edition (just for preordering, no extra cost, woo). It's pretty much more Demon's Souls, which is great. It has been murdering the shit out of me for the past few days.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

So, Dungeon Defenders came out a few days ago. I was interested in this game because when I was researching the UDK it was the primary game I was testing to see how well it performed, looked, ect. The premise of the demo was that it was a 1-month project by only like 4 or so guys. Granted, they had experience, but for 1 month of work, the game was pretty damn good and only needed content and polish. Plus, they freely released the source code for the whole thing. Fast forward a long time and the actual game came out, and I definitely wanted to support these guys.

The game itself is actually pretty decent, especially for an indie game. I would wager to say it's the best indie game I've ever played, actually. It has a few oddities and the animations are lacking, but for what it is, I actually enjoy it. There's a few connection issues but the performance is brilliant considering how much shit is going on at once and there was only one actual major bug I encountered (I got perma-stuck on HKS and he had to kick me from the came so I could move, but I couldn't reconnect because I was kicked... durr).

The cellshading is pretty immense in some places and the saturation hurts my eyes, but that's probably because I'm partly colorblind.

Supposedly the game itself has the editor with it and all of the code and such is still entirely open (I plan to pillage it for 2042 to learn how shit works) but the steam version seems to have fucked this up and neither of us have it.

I'll probably make a video when I have more than only 100gb of space free.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

lol @ Syndicate being rebooted as a Deus Ex-ripoff FPS

the story is being written by Richard Morgan though so it could still be cool
on the other hand the soundtrack is by Skrillex so probably not
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

And so, Skyrim has come out and I've spent the last 6-7 or so hours playing.

A fairly quick rundown.

Skyrim is a console port. So, all of the things you typically associate with console ports, including ridiculously bad menu controls, intense LOD, and graphical quality that doesn't quite compare to modern PC games, you can associate with Skyrim.

Skyrim's download is fairly small compared to most modern games - this is because most of its textures are very low resolution; consoles don't have much memory, after all. The 360, as usual, got shafted the most. Us real platform players got shafted extra by a console port. Of course, Bethesda games don't really shine until modders fix them. More on that later.

Character customization has been dumbed down quite a bit, relying mostly on presets with a little hint of manual operatives. Nothing like SR3 or Oblivion, though. Something that stuck out to me was that hair looks distinctly bad in Skyrim. If there was one graphic thing that bugged me the most, it's how bad hair looks.

Because Skyrim's textures tend to be low-res, inspection of most surfaces yields that ugly Starcraft 2/doom 3 glossiness going on when the normals get pixelated all to hell.

On the flip side, the game performs admirably well, although there's no small-scale skirmishes or anything going on. Sound work is decent, voice acting ranges from decent to clearly intern-level, but passable at least. Soundtrack is probably Soule's best work in many years.

It's 2011, and you still don't see your own bloody legs or body for some reason. I remember back in the n64 when there was this mysticism about one day being able to see your own body in FPS games more often but it just never happens for some reason. This immediately struck me in the game - you don't see your own body. Which is probably a good thing, because while the animation quality has improved a little bit since oblivion, oblivion's animations were so bad that the only way you can go is up. Thankfully, the crazy bugs in the engine make up for this. Not 2 minutes out of the starting area and I witnessed a moose skating around in the air like a missile, to land a distant in front of me and then die. Unfortunately, I had just turned off fraps, and it happened too fast to get any more than his landing death.

Wait, is this really Skyrim?

First-person weapons have the texture quality of Morrowind. It's a stark difference from the characters, especially your FPS hands, which much higher detail.

What's with that weird outline, anyways? Was this game actually tested?

Looking past the incredibly unreliable UI, which seems to play a game of hide-the-interactive-element with your mouse cursor, the porty texturing and bland-as-every-other melee combat, and Skyrim really isn't too terrible. I guess because it's a Bethesda game, who have relied very heavily on modders to fix and sell their games, Skyrim will potentially have the same life that Oblivion did. This is in part because there is simply no competition for this kind of title. From what I understand, Fallout 3 had very little in the way of modding and didn't have nearly as much longetivity to it as a result. Nowadays, people often state they can't play vanilla Oblivion without their mods.

So, the question now is, what potential is there in Skyrim for mods? That answer will have to remain unanswered, as AFAIK there's no SDK available yet. Oblivion's SDK was buggy as hell and a trial by fire; again, because these are alone in the pit, modders had to make due. This is probably why they have so few actual conversions and mostly just aesthetic material. With such a texture mod, Skyrim could potentially start challenging Unreal 3 games in graphics. Who knows where it could go.

Investing in Skyrim now is a long-term investment. As a short-term game, don't expect anything fantastic, especially for the esteemed price of 59.99 USD when almost all other non-activision publishers have gone down to 49.99. If you loved Oblivion (I didn't), Skyrim will be your kind of game. If you didn't, maybe it won't be for you. I went in with skepticism, but wasn't as disappointed as I expected to be. Yeah, it's a bloody console port, but I kind of like it.

extras -

WHY IS MOUSE ACCELERATION ON BY DEFAULT ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

There's supposedly some ini changes to make the game prettier. I'll report back after I've fooled with them a bit.

/cont

The first Dragon you fight in the game is very underwhelming. Dragons are extremely rigid in their animations and how they move, performing extremely unrealistic turns and landings. While they kill generic NPC's easily enough, they don't do that much damage to you in comparison. I fear for when I start getting some actual magic and such and actually start doing damage - then they'll be really screwed. I kind of pitied the poor bastard, so I let him eat my indestructible ally for a while and kill the faceless dolts following her around, then sat behind him and hit him a few times.

On the other hand, as I was running around 1-2 shotting generic Undead in some tomb, I quickly met my match by ten fold in the form of some crazy fucking mini-boss. He and a Wight (separate fights, different rooms) both handed my ass to me several times before I dispatched them in abusive ways over the course of a half-hour. They were so ridiculously beyond my level and the level of the Undead around them that I have to wonder if the autolevel engine broke. Following this I ran into a dual-wielding boss that 2-shotted me and has thousands of hp, along with summoning wight allies. I 1shotted his normal undead. My power attack didn't even move his health bar. Yeah, fuck that. I ran through his room, collecting boxes and the dragon shrine, then ran away.

/e

Do you own Skyrim? Okay, seriously, stop whatever you're doing. Go find a Giant, one of the friendly ones. Find a Wolf and aggro it, and drag it towards the giant so the giant aggros onto it. Sit back and enjoy.