New & Upcoming game discussion.

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: New & Upcoming game discussion.

Post by IskatuMesk »

Lav was probably streaming, the same thing I generally do for some of my Russian cohorts when I'm working on models.
Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian

Post by Dread »

Hercanic wrote:
Dread wrote:Okay, I don't really know, but I've watched Lavarinth play Simcity, and a lot of weird things are happening all the time. The vast majority are pretty entertaining.
Wait, Lav is in California. You're in Canada. How are you creepily watching over his shoulder from thousands of miles away? Did you ninja your way into his home late one night and install surveillance cameras or something?
Yes.
IskatuMesk wrote:Lav was probably streaming, the same thing I generally do for some of my Russian cohorts when I'm working on models.
Yes to this too.
- - - Dread
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

IskatuMesk wrote:On the other hand, that new SimCity game looks amazing.

Needs more flamin' midgets...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by bajadulce »

really apologize if this isn't the proper place to ask this, but was wondering if anyone has tried out the new Xcom that I read about a few months ago? My puny laptop computer most likely can't handle something like this but was curious nonetheless.

Guess could always google and read up about it, but I seem to recall there were a lot of the original Xcom fans on this site?

@ that Shadowrun video posted:
That looks pretty neat! I always enjoyed turn based games a lot especially as got older :) Thnx for posting am definitely interested in reading up more on that game.

@ Simcity awesomeness:
pedestrians need more cheeseburgers! Simcity was a fun game.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

The new XCOM is ok, it's been incredibly bastardized for the console peasentry. Get the original, or wait for Xenoanauts.
http://www.xenonauts.com/
bajadulce

Post by bajadulce »

Ya that Xenonauts looks more fan based driven. I check in there once in awhile. Last time (maybe 6 months ago?) they had some funding issues iirc?.. looks like they're still going tho and thnx for the link again. :)

Ah so Xcom has been released and you've played some of it or perhaps watched some videos? This the TBS remake and not the gay FPS you're referring to? Bizarre how they can take TBS classics like Xcom or even Fallout and turn them into FPS? Strange.

The original was great and still fire it up on occasion agree. Never got much into TFFD tho. One thing that was seriously jacked up about the original tho were psionics. Psionics were an awesome trait/weapon for the aliens, but in the hands of the humans it was gg. The game was basically over once you managed to research this ability as it was just way too overpowering and easy.

Later there were Launchers that provided options for many of these things like mind control only through line of sight etc so you couldn't camp in the skyranger and pick off aliens 5 levels deep into the spaceship. There was a disable all psionics option, but don't seem to remember a way to disable psionics just for the player and not the aliens? It's been awhile.

Lots of "remakes" of Xcom that all were pretty lousy. This last one, I remember reading about how the developer in charge of this was a nostalgic fan himself and required all his staff to play the original before even embarking on the project. As things progressed tho, I saw evidence of what you've mentioned in the form of things like "action shot perspective" or some gay thing like that. So obviously outside influences in terms of $$$ returned on their investment have managed to wiggle their way into the production as would be expected. This is prob why I've given up on the "major" production video games. Too much pandering to the target revenue... can't blame them tho.

K wow.. sorry in advance for such babbling. Was really curious about this latest remake and wanted to hit you guys up as for whatever reason I've all of a sudden got an interest in video games again.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Unreal 4 Engine: What I especially like here is the streamlined development, where testing and editing can be quickly iterated upon, all within the editor itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acR4n6lJEdQ[/youtube]
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Man, that editor looks very different than the current unreal 3 editor. I hope I don't have to re-learn everything right after I figure out the UDK. :(
wibod

Post by wibod »

bajadulce wrote:Ya that Xenonauts looks more fan based driven. I check in there once in awhile. Last time (maybe 6 months ago?) they had some funding issues iirc?.. looks like they're still going tho and thnx for the link again. :)

Ah so Xcom has been released and you've played some of it or perhaps watched some videos? This the TBS remake and not the gay FPS you're referring to? Bizarre how they can take TBS classics like Xcom or even Fallout and turn them into FPS? Strange.

The original was great and still fire it up on occasion agree. Never got much into TFFD tho. One thing that was seriously jacked up about the original tho were psionics. Psionics were an awesome trait/weapon for the aliens, but in the hands of the humans it was gg. The game was basically over once you managed to research this ability as it was just way too overpowering and easy.

Later there were Launchers that provided options for many of these things like mind control only through line of sight etc so you couldn't camp in the skyranger and pick off aliens 5 levels deep into the spaceship. There was a disable all psionics option, but don't seem to remember a way to disable psionics just for the player and not the aliens? It's been awhile.

Lots of "remakes" of Xcom that all were pretty lousy. This last one, I remember reading about how the developer in charge of this was a nostalgic fan himself and required all his staff to play the original before even embarking on the project. As things progressed tho, I saw evidence of what you've mentioned in the form of things like "action shot perspective" or some gay thing like that. So obviously outside influences in terms of $$$ returned on their investment have managed to wiggle their way into the production as would be expected. This is prob why I've given up on the "major" production video games. Too much pandering to the target revenue... can't blame them tho.

K wow.. sorry in advance for such babbling. Was really curious about this latest remake and wanted to hit you guys up as for whatever reason I've all of a sudden got an interest in video games again.
The switch to a two move/move and shoot system seriously fucked up the game. Increased difficulty being stat buffs and the percentage based attack system are bad. The new XCOM game isn't terrible, it just isn't a very good XCOM game.

Snipers are also OP as fuck and completely ruin any challenge.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Gah, I just bought a Wii classic controller under the presumption that it plugs into the console... no, of course not. It plugs into the wiimote. Meaning you have a controller that both has a cord to something you can't hold at the same time and STILL requires batteries anyway.

I just don't even...
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

... What? How does that even make any sense? :\
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Well golly, how did you think it got powered, on hopes and miracles?
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I was sincerely hoping for black magic, voodoo, witchcraft, something like that. Hopes and miracles are too expensive here.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

RazorclawX wrote:Well golly, how did you think it got powered, on hopes and miracles?
I like this post.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator