New & Upcoming game discussion.

Moderator: Milldawg

wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: New & Upcoming game discussion.

Post by wibod »

I think it's funny that Cage is talking up how technology is going to make his QTE games so much better. The best game his company has made from a story perspective is the first half of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy for the PSdouble and phatbox.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think that any company caught putting a QTE into a game in this day and age should immediately be dissolved and have all of their assets sold to the lowest Indian bidder.
wibod

Post by wibod »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcA0Ekb-lM

Why hello there milked franchise.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Didn't the third one come our like three months ago? :3
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
wibod

Post by wibod »

Mr.

Post by Mr. »

That's not a glitch, that's the good ending.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Mr.:
I see. Your "Mr. Cage" comment makes much more sense now. =oP

I can agree with Mr. Cage in a very specific way. Improved graphics give storytellers more options, but it does not stand in for talent. It's like the difference between plays and movies. In a play, the audience is too far away to reliably see subtle gestures and facial tells, so movement is exaggerated to communicate the intended effect. Enter movies and TV, where the camera can zoom right in on an actor's face, and now they can utilize more natural emotional cues. Both plays and movies can and do move their audience, but there is an accessibility that movies have that is a result of requiring less suspension of disbelief.

I see the improvement of visual technology in games to have a similar effect. With simpler graphics, emotional actions must be direct and exaggerated. Lifelike graphics? Blushing, eyelid flutter, darting eyes, shivering, dilating pupils, these all become tools that writers and artists can use.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

To be honest, both trailers failed to impress me. Cyberpunk trailer had an interesting approach, but as the world it's portraying looks so generic and bland it ended up wasting all of it's potential.. The Kara trailer on the other hand is just one drama cliche after the other, it's not even funny...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
wibod

Post by wibod »

Hercanic wrote:I see the improvement of visual technology in games to have a similar effect. With simpler graphics, emotional actions must be direct and exaggerated. Lifelike graphics? Blushing, eyelid flutter, darting eyes, shivering, dilating pupils, these all become tools that writers and artists can use.
Do you really think that any current game developer would use these things in a way that doesn't launch their game right into the very depths of the uncanny valley? Considering most studios still record their voice overs in a booth, one actor at a time, I seriously doubt that they could do anything worthwhile with lifelike graphics.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

I think it doesn't really matter, or else we'd all go broke buying too many awesome games. What matters is that the tools are there for those uniquely talented people who are skilled enough in their craft to deliver a truly powerful experience.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I wouldn't go broke because I know it's actually physically impossible for capitalism to consistently produce quality products in any field. For me to go broke, there'd have to be multiple dozens of quality games released at once. That is just simply unpossible. Even if I account for all of the games I've bought or thought decently of in the last 10 years, I don't get anywhere close to multiple dozens. I get maybe a dozen. That's maybe a hundred bucks if I shop intelligently.

Polishing a turd still leaves you with just a polished turd.

Steam sales l0l
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Anyone else here getting SimCity? Not an Origin hate topic, there's a group of us that'll be playing and we're looking to see what size region to make.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Origin still exists? Really? That is surprising... to say the least. No, I wouldn't buy anything that uses any kind of non-steam ripoff. I did, however, play a mean Sim City 2000 back in the day. That was actually one of the titles I began doing sprite work for... but not much.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Lavarinth wrote:Anyone else here getting SimCity? Not an Origin hate topic, there's a group of us that'll be playing and we're looking to see what size region to make.
Seen a bit of it and didn't seem interested a bit. Maybe because of my love for sprite-based titles. Nothing against 3d, but the things you'd see these days in the strategy gaming industry... Oh, lord.

But I also did play some SimCity 2000, those were fun times, and when I considered city simulators a nice pass time. That, Afterlife, Caesar, Pharaoh, and the Zeus series were amongst the finest games I've had the honor to play.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

I would love to play the new SimCity, but I won't be installing this "Origin" to get it. I trust Steam under Valve's stewardship, they've proven themselves time and again. EA? I'll stifle the laughter, but it's plain they are not a company that values me beyond my wallet. I'll wait for when EA feels they've tapped out their "exclusive" market on Origin and start whoring the game everywhere else to maximize profits.