New & Upcoming game discussion.

Moderator: Milldawg

Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: New & Upcoming game discussion.

Post by Mr. »

Ricky, you're pretty much correct. They wanted to keep it random, and hard to summon specific people. But there are methods to connecting with a specific person:
Hint: If you want to play with a friend both should be in one of the 3 Cooperative Covenants (Princess's Guard, Way of White, Warrior of Sunlight). Then you can place your Summon Sign with your (White Sign Soapstone). If your friend doesn't see the sign, you just have to place it again. After a few times it will eventually show up in your friends world. It seems that the server is not important but the sign will only show up in a couple of worlds. So you have to place it some more times until it shows up in the designated world. To note is, that the sign will almost instantly appear in the other world you don't have to wait long until it becomes visible to other players. This was tested a couple of times and it never took longer than 5 minutes to find each other.
I've searched and found that several people are saying that this works pretty consistently. Also that it takes somewhere between 10 seconds and 10 minutes.

HKS, it's not really that hard. To SUMMON someone, you have to be human form, and the boss of the area needs to be alive. To BE SUMMONED you can put your sign down anywhere, under any conditions. You just need to make sure your level is about the same. You can co-op in the area after you defeat the boss, but only by being summoned by another player.

So I could, in theory, clear out the entire game at a low level (I've done a level 1 playthrough before), then just let someone summon me in the first zone, move on to the next one instantly, let them summon me again, and level up with them. Yes, it's absurdly complicated to play the entire game start to finish with one friend, but that's because they didn't want the game to be played that way. Arranging for co-op in one or two zones would actually be pretty easy.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

I never said hard. I described lame. Just like every other "co op" game out there except for SR3.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah, the complete and total lack of true co-op when it was fairly standard in the n64 days really astounds me. Kind of like no shooters except for Unreal - to an extent - has features or customization at all comparable with Perfect Dark/Timesplitters. Games, moving backwards in time!

Well, I'll probably do demon souls before dark souls even though they are not directly related I hear. But I'll be doing them right after each other. I figured, why wait? I need to free up my HD space first.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Well since the servers are out for demon souls and now only for dark souls, I guess you will have no worry for random players and phantoms even if you are connected to PSN.

Although for Dark Souls, even if you got zero connection, there are still AI Phantoms that can jump on you.
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Demon's Souls servers are still going last I heard.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Hunter_Killers wrote:Demon's Souls servers are still going last I heard.
Oh really? I was damn sure they would have took them down to semi-force people to immigrate to Dark Souls.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

They were looking to shut them down, not sure if it's happened yet though. Rather, they announced they would be shutting them down.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Aiursrage2k
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Aiursrage2k »

I was blown away watching the first 15 minutes of gameplay. Looks like the best thing coming out this year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9cO0rlh0c'

The next one I am looking forward to is watchdogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkrloLw6AqU
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I've been playing Pokemon Conquest for the DS. And played the heck out of it. I can at least say I got my money's worth out of it, especially since I felt like I got ripped off by Kid Icarus: Uprising (I've yet to even fight Medusa and that's only about 1/3 of the way through the game).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'm producing a video reviewing the Guild Wars 2 beta event that is currently active (I believe it's the last major event), but here's a short text review.

GW2 is a game entirely unlike GW1. The only things similar are the lore and the graphics. The gameplay is very different, the world is a lot different, everything else verges on a different genre.

Nothing about GW2 is revolutionary or new. The event-based system has been applied in many games before (Tabula Rasa, Rift), etc. But what makes GW2 enjoyable is that it implements the majority of these systems in one bundle. The game really has no quest system, it's almost entirely event oriented.

GW1 focused on arena pvp and stuff but GW2 introduces world pvp in the form of server vs server WvW. This is a three-way set of provinces (three mirrors with different starters and one smaller "eternal battlegrounds" province) that give you bonuses in the server world depending how well you're doing. But, most importantly, it's the first game I've played to introduce real siege mechanics semi properly.

WvW reminds me of Alterac Valley before Blizzard turned it to shit shortly after release. Long, drawn out sieges, harassment, supply cavarans, flanking, feints, it's medieval warfare finally represented in a somewhat decent form. I ended up playing quite a lot of this, but there was immediately a really big problem - our server was low pop and our opponents were high pop. This meant we were curbstomped in 90% of encounters. But the few fights that weren't a curb stomp were really entertaining.

I started with WvW with a fairly slow push coming from Blue into our main keep. They had the main castle, on the left, loaded with various siege weapons including super long range Trebuchetes. They also had a cliff (center) loaded with artillery and defended by plenty of players. Since the trebuchetes are hard to aim at long range without vision, spotting becomes key unless you want to waste a lot of time trying to aim blindly. That piece on the castle wall is able to hit one of the towers across the cliff that we have, but because they never threaten our supply route we keep repairing and eventually retake the cliff.

When you have 3x arrow launchers on walls and enemies mill around your gate, you get a lot of free kills/loot. PvP in this rewards you with items, experience, and the normal pvp rewards like tokens and "karma". Having to leave the siege engine and loot them when they spawn next to you is really inelegant though (and they do despawn fairly fast).

I spot for HKS and destroy some in-construction cannons on the walls of Stonemist Castle, the largest siege structure in the Eternal Battleground. Since we are hugely outnumbered we'll never get past the first courtyard before we are massacred, but we kill plenty at their gate.

After HKS destroys the wall, Legolas heroically leads Rohan to camp the broken wall. Blue, who owns the castle, outnumbers us 4 to 1 at best, while the third team is outnumbered by us at least 2 to 1. Somehow, the other team felt wise to attack our siege inside the enemy's castle.

GW2's graphics have only progressed meagerly since the first, but the audio is reasonable and the gameplay is quite solid thus far. The event based systems and WvW without subscription fees means this is certainly going to be a buy like the first one was.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I didn't get nearly enough time to work on this as I wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSli_iBJI8&feature=youtu.be
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Lol, so wait, Square redesigned their entire FF14 MMO, which was a dismal failure, and are sending current players "back in time" to this new MMO?