D3 to introduce micro transactions

Moderator: Milldawg

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Re: D3 to introduce micro transactions

Postby DrumsofWar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:03 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:
DrumsofWar wrote:If they were half smart though, they'd just turn D3 into some horrible MMO DotA clone and drop micropayment perks everywhere; gamers now are going to be a lot less patient grinding for stuff in a self-contained game than they were when Diablo II came out.

wat?

People are not getting impatient, it's just that blizzard has seen a minority community in d2 dealing with forum money that has real world value and wants all that money going through them instead (D2JSP). D2's drop rates were bullshit but WoW completely throws your grind argument out the window and onto the street, much less every other, even more grindry MMO still very much alive.

I know, that's why I said self-contained. Take out big events, guilds, running into dozens of players, and I don't see the game being as addictive without it being ultracompetitive like DotA or it being much easier to get most loot for some money.

Something with D2's multiplayer model hasn't been able to repeat its success. Look at Mythos, Torchlight, and all the other clones.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:10 pm

... Uh... are you really comparing Torchlight to d2 to prove a point about multiplayer models? They didn't even try to have multiplayer, and the itemization is completely and utterly different. Wait until Torchlight 2 to see how that particular fiasco ends up as. I predict terrible, but not because of the multiplayer model, but because the game is a Mythos clone with horrible design behind it. If anything, mod support could catapult it ahead of D3 in terms of depth and flexibility.

Mythos is a free to play MMO and has been from the start. Just like Requiem, Dragon Nest, ect. and the reason it has a cash shop is because it's a free to play MMO. I think the reason that Blizzard chooses to have an auction house to slap huge fees onto is because they know they will never be able to conquer botters and hackers, so they're aiming to instead plunge their dick into the inevitable circus that the economy is going to yet again get puckered into, but in a manner that allows them to distance themselves from needing to maintain something like a cash shop.

The auction house is the perfect way to attract monetary value in this way because even though there will always be third party transactions going on, this setup allures dimwits into thinking they're going to become e-millionaires by playing the game. A cash shop needs to maintain ingame economy value and reasonability which means paying attention - Blizzard knows damn well their overfed interns couldn't play their own games for shit much less keep up with the economy, so they instead apply a business model that allows hands-free operation.

D2JSP is a huge trading forum that those who remain dedicated to d2 are at least somewhat effected by. If Blizzard introduced a cash shop this will not prevent similar things from cropping up in the future, simply because they act as a hub for commerce. Although a standard auction house alone would probably be sufficient to prevent such competition, why not introduce incentive to get players to dump money into the game and avoid all of the ickyness associated with independent cash shops? In fact, this move is on the verge of the same brilliance as introducing paid mounts in WoW. They are going to make a killing if D3 can stay afloat.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

UntamedLoli

Postby UntamedLoli » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 pm

DrumsofWar wrote:I know, that's why I said self-contained. Take out big events, guilds, running into dozens of players, and I don't see the game being as addictive without it being ultracompetitive like DotA or it being much easier to get most loot for some money.

Something with D2's multiplayer model hasn't been able to repeat its success. Look at Mythos, Torchlight, and all the other clones.

The issue with all of those D2 clones is that they copy EVERYTHING to the letter and don't improve or do anything of their own. I really just facepalm when I try playing one of these things and they don't even change archaic mechanics like identifying items when half the drops are shit anyways just like D2 and immunes you can't kill. Torchlights only real addition from D2 was officially supporting mods otherwise it was a really bland Mythos. In the case of Mythos you ignored everything that dropped if it didn't have an orange name.

RIFT is a blatant rip of WoW but it's still holding its own decently sized player base because it actually had new and actually polished mechanics. Meanwhile Blizzard is gearing up for more PR, oh sorry I mean "beta". I really want there to be a bunch of duping exploits that make it to launch just because of how shitty their Q&A team has been.

DrumsofWar

Postby DrumsofWar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Mesk: D3 will stay afloat but my personal bet is that it'll get eclipsed in 2 years by a D3 clone.

HKS: There might even be exploits of the auctionhouse.

Now both of you bastards come play DDO.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Why would I play DDO when I can play Loli Murder Simulator?
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

DrumsofWar

Postby DrumsofWar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:06 am

It has ice skating ramps where you can get coins.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 pm

What ramps?

Unrelated screenshot time? Woot!

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

DrumsofWar

Postby DrumsofWar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:14 am

Here are the ramps, if you have an urge to play Mario minigames in a MMO.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:35 am

HKS will tell you how I fail at ramps.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:14 am

I'll just keep playing Limbo.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

DrumsofWar

Postby DrumsofWar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:02 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:HKS will tell you how I fail at ramps.

HKS tried the game but then he died.

Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Postby Taeradun » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 pm

u giev soj?

DrumsofWar

Postby DrumsofWar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 am

It looks like they're making this game with at least some of the flaws of DII in mind and adding clan support, something that's sorely lacking even in SC2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36mCJ2w2gpcp

mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Postby mAc Chaos » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:27 pm

What exactly would the auction house do to the metagame? I mean, it's not like it's going to affect you unless you want to get involved. If you just want to play around and get items the old fashioned way nothing's going to stop you.

And people could always buy and sell items, so what exactly would be different?
http://sanctuary-inc.net/

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Well, I guess metagame was always about the botting more than the playing, so not much will change in that regard.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “General Discussion”