WarCraft RTS in the makes after StarCraft 2?

Moderator: Milldawg

Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

WarCraft RTS in the makes after StarCraft 2?

Post by Marine »

Again I saw this on BlizzPlanet.
James Brightman, 8/17/2007, 10:47:44 AM wrote:Blizzard's Pardo Hints at Warcraft RTS; Not Interested in Consoles

Blizzard's vp of game design Rob Pardo has revealed to GameDaily BIZ that a new Warcraft RTS will be "one of the ideas on the table" after StarCraft 2 ships. He also said that to bring WoW to consoles "would be a Herculean effort that would only take away from our ability to serve our current customers."

MMOs have yet to really take off on consoles. NCsoft is looking to change that with its exclusive deal on Sony's PS3, but if there's one MMORPG that most gamers would scream for on consoles, it would have to be Blizzard's phenomenally successful World of Warcraft, which now has over 9 million subscribers.

That said, in an interview to be published on GameDaily BIZ in the very near future, Blizzard's vp of game design, Rob Pardo seemed to shy away from the idea of developing WoW or other MMOs on consoles. He also took issue with our assumption that there's a "theoretical ceiling" to growth on Mac and PC platforms.

"I think you'll see a console MMO that's popular one of these days. It's quite likely, not going to be WoW. WoW was really never designed for the console experience and for us to try and put it on a console would be a Herculean effort that would only take away from our ability to serve our current customers," he said. "I also kinda disagree with the 'theoretical ceiling' comment on PC games. I mean, what's the PC install base in this day in age around the world? It's got to dwarf the install base for any of the consoles or all them combined for that matter. It's just that a lot of people don't necessarily use their PC as a gaming machine and PCs themselves... you just have to jump through a lot more hoops to install and play PC games, whereas consoles are just dedicated gaming machines."

GameDaily BIZ also asked about the possibility of Blizzard creating a new Warcraft real-time strategy title. Of course, the franchise started out as an RTS and so did StarCraft, but now that Warcraft has leaped out of the RTS genre and into MMOs would Blizzard bring it back to its RTS roots? Pardo would certainly appear to be open to it.

"Yeah, of course there's a chance," he confirmed. "The way that we develop things, each time a development team becomes available, because they're done with creating the games that they've been doing, they have a lot of say over what their next game is. So what it would take is for one of our teams to decide that they want to make Warcraft RTS and of course, there'll be some talk about doing that and I'm sure after StarCraft 2 ships, it will be one the ideas on the table for that team to do, but that's pretty far off in the future and it would really be determined by a combination of the dev team and the company leadership."

Pardo continued, "I think that one of the things that makes us ultimately successful as a company is that we're more lead by our game-making decisions and not so much by business decisions, which is one of the reasons why this question used to be the StarCraft question. Back when we did StarCraft, we did Brood War, and everyone thought they were amazing games; they were successful and I used to get all these questions like, "Why are you doing another Warcraft RTS, shouldn't you be doing StarCraft?" Well Warcraft was what the team wanted to make, they were burned out on the StarCraft universe, that was the game they wanted to make and as far as Warcraft goes, we love the universe – it's an amazingly successful universe. If we want to go back and do it, maybe we will, maybe we won't."

by James Brightman
I dont know why they are burned out on StarCraft universe, they havent came back to it in almost a decade...
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: WarCraft RTS in the makes after StarCraft 2?

Post by Taeradun »

He was talking about just after they finished Brood War when they started on Warcraft III.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

I'm burned out on the wc universe due to wow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine

Post by Marine »

I am getting a little you know bored of MMOs (well havent tried LoTR: SoA) but I like RTSs more, I want a SC2 more than a WC4 right now though because its been SO long since a StarCraft game.
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

They need something newffs.
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

Yeah I can understand them being "burnt out" on StarCraft immediately after finishing just this one totally awesome game and then an expansion for it, but 3 Warcraft RTSs, an almost-finished cancelled adventure game, a MMO and a fucking movie in development is quite a lot for Warcraft :P

So now we have StarCraft II fuck yeah not to mention the "on hold" Ghost game; and rumours of Diablo III being in development...
Marine

Post by Marine »

They should for now stick with SC, and Diablo, they have so much stuff for now with WarCraft why jump RIGHT to a new RTS with WarCraft?
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

How about a Diablo RTS? Any takers?
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

only if it has protoss, nightelves and spacepirateninjazombiemonkeydishwashers
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

This isn't starcraft in tristram, its much more -- OHSHIT ITS DIABLO!!!1111!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Warbringer87 wrote: This isn't starcraft in tristram, its much more -- OHSHIT ITS DIABLO!!!1111!
"I know it's not an RPG! It's much more sophisticated!"
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

What?  We won't see a WC4 for 8-10 more years.  World of WarCraft is going to live on and on and on and on with the new expansions.  Besides, you can't have a sequel to WCIII when WoW is a continuously evolving world.  The stories won't match up with part 4.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Well nothing in WoW actually "changes" its pretty much just a whole shitton of exposition, I have yet to see the night elves expel the orcs from ashenvail and no matter how many times I kill the giant merloc in the wailing caverns that bastard is still there. The problem isn't that a sequel would screw anything up but that blizzard decides to change the lore to suit WoW any time they feel like it.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I never knew Illidan had infinite amount of lives and could say "you are not prepared" so many times without getting bored.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
wibod

Post by wibod »

Marine 382BB wrote: They should for now stick with SC, and Diablo, they have so much stuff for now with WarCraft why jump RIGHT to a new RTS with WarCraft?
Chand your fucking signature, it's 700kb.