The New Forum

Moderator: Milldawg

Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Re: The New Forum

Post by Alevice »

I like avatars on the right. Since I just glare to the avatr anyway, having the actual content of the message on the left is more sane to me. Then again I hate most left sidebars and shit too, but that's because I am not a slave of tradition and more of a totally revolutionary man whose ideas would improve the world weren't the population a bunch of pussies towards innovation.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Yeah Battle.net 2.0 was such a great innovation over the original, forget what worked fine for over a decade.

I can't wait to get banned for modding.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

It flickers with XP/Explorer but not with OSX/Safari. It's a laptop LCD screen.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

means you've got aids
FireFlash
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by FireFlash »

Lavarinth wrote:
FireFlash wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:Still sorting positioning of things.
On that note, could you have the namesof the forums (like "Starcraft II Discussion") be centered vertically? It looks out of place when # of posts and whatnot are centered on the right side. Also, forums with subforums have a huge gap between the name and the subforum links that also looks weird :)
I'm not sure what you're asking? Subforum and huge gap? Centered names where?
The text on the main forum index where all the forums and subforums are listed. You have a text icon followed by the name of the forum (ie. "General Discussion"), and the icon is centered vertically but the text is not. Just looks odd, that is all (Chrome, Windows 7).
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Hunter_Killers wrote:Yeah Battle.net 2.0 was such a great innovation over the original, forget what worked fine for over a decade.

I can't wait to get banned for modding.
True that, we might run the risk that a post gets deleted due to the right sided avatars. This must mean this is a damn republican theme!!!!!!!!!!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

FUCKING REPOOPLICANS I'LL KILL YOU ALL
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

For the love of god put avatar/name/info on the left and not the right, people read from left to right so this just makes things mad annoying. Threads seem a bit more jumbled then the old forum, you may need to space things out a bit more. Aesthetically the forums look great.

Also if you made the text for the page numbers on threads
53 posts • Page 4 of 4 • 1, 2, 3, 4
and
* Main Site ‹ Board index ‹ General Forums ‹ General Discussion
a bit larger, that would be very nice.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

When reading threads from my blackberry, avatars now appear below the user's post. :/
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Okay, I am going to give a full critique of what I think of the forum so far. These suggestions focus on the most serious issues that need to be addressed immediately. However, before I start, I want to mention a couple of good things first.

1. Thank you for saving the forum data. I didn't want to have to start a new profile all over again. It's nice to see our forum history preserved and secure.

2. I like some of the expanded data options like managing your attachments on the User Control Panel.

Now what NEEDS to be improved as soon as possible:

1. Avatars need to be changed back to the left. This is one feature that is really bothering people. As a left-to-right literary society, this is the format everyone is used to when viewing posts. There is no reason to change it for the sake of changing.

2. The forum looks very cluttered. It's the multiple colors, text and dates EVERYWHERE, and small spacing that is overwhelming the eyes when looking at the topic list. Subpoints:
- Sticky threads must be more defined! This is the biggest problem to the forum design that is discouraging posting. I don't know which thread has a new post and which one doesn't. The sticky threads (aside from the exclamation point icon) blend in with the rest of the regular forum topics.
- The forums need a set color scheme. I'm seeing blue, green, red, orange, teal, etc. They don't really go together, and desensitize the forum's aesthetic presentation.
- There's too many dates. The topic list doesn't have to show the exact time AA7Dragoon or Mucky posted a topic. It just clutters the topic name.
- The icon to click to view new posts to that particular thread is microscopic. Can you enlarge that? It looks like an orange dot on my screen.
- Bring back the bolded "TODAY" on Last Post. This really helped me find topics that were posted for the day. The old forum was great in bolding topics that had been posted on for that day by saying Today. Please bring back that.

3. There must be a way to unsubscribe by default to forum topics. I know you said look down below to unsubscribe from the thread, but the average viewer is not going to read that suggestion and find a way to unsubscribe themselves. This will annoy people from posting if it means their e-mail address is going to be spammed. You have to find a solution to this, even if it means disabling that feature on the forum.
'
4.Fix the forum upgrade breaking the news on the main page. It makes the site look broken and unprofessional. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

5. One of the most annoying forum features on here is saving drafts. PLEASE take this out! This will only confuse users who won't see their posts. My very first post on the new forum was "saved" not submitted. There's no practical purpose for this feature unless I was writing an extensive Mafia game. It just confuses people. Only have Preview and Submit please.
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

Not too much of a fan of the new layout. It's not too bad of a change, but there's just a few things that feel a little.....awkward.

Youtube thingamajigs (the ones that let you view such a video without going to youtube itself) are broken.
Then there's the thing with the avatars, where it has to be a small enough scale to actually use a different picture as an avatar.

But, like AA7 mentioned, at least the forum data (i.e. profiles & topics) are preserved.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

I would say keep the annpoying features around for a couple of months. If people still remember what did piss them off, then change them.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

no

arghhhh my inbox is flooded with emails aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

okay, i agree with that, can we disable topic notification through email somewhere? cant be arsed to look if it is in the profile options.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

You're also not arsed to read posts either, I see.
IskatuMesk wrote:fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu save my fukin settings yew goddamn toester

/e found them under board preferences/posting defaults
mAc Chaos wrote:no

arghhhh my inbox is flooded with emails aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
You post here that much? ;)