Who is this imposter, and what is Lavarinth going to do about it?

Moderator: Milldawg

AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Who is this imposter, and what is Lavarinth going to do about it?

Post by AA7Dragoon »

http://www.sc2mapster.com/

They're getting linked off of Husky on Youtube and receiving a lot of hits for the community they are developing.  I'd hate to see CC lose out on a developing fanbase because these guys become the "go-to" for the map development community.

They even linked some of the stuff (Survivors cinematic) that we have here on their news page.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Re: Who is this imposter, and what is Lavarinth going to do about it?

Post by Alevice »

Not that I care much about SC2Mpaster from a developer standpoint after the editor was out, but CC's current fanbase is nonexistant outside the vets
_-|-_
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

Well, Gna posted that video there. That was his choice. That doesn't have really anything to do with their community other than it attracts people from here as well. Seems like a good place to post stuff for easy, quick recognition, but their community seems to be..... younger? I can't think of the word for it, but the level of maturity seems to be slightly lower in the way the speak.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That site is run by Curse. CC can't compete with that directly, no point in even trying. Maybe if CC had a stronger get-go much earlier on with an existing community it could have gotten to that point but they have a lot of tool developers and such there which assures their position as #1 now much like wc3c did for wc3.

What will define CC early on will be largely what Oracle and Desler do followed by RCX if he does anything, as those are established names.
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Well, it's a decent site.  I've actually been checking their forums and tutorials on the editor, lately, when I've come across something I can't figure out. 
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

I have one idea that might help switch over some of that community. I noticed that the site is primarily custom game maps (at least from what I saw) and the talk about campaigns was relatively limited. If we post videos and screenshots of our campaigns, like Gna has done, to get the hype up on their forums, but then tell them they will only be available for download on the CC forums, they might associate CC as the place for campaigns. Getting the custom game designer crowd IS hopeless, but I think we can still get some of the campaign makers/players.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Remember, map development and campaign community aren't necessarily associated even though they are closely related.  Campaign Creations was lucky to have DI during our beginning area, as he was responsible for the majority of tutorials and technical documents.  This site will likely be a library of fiction, whereas a site like SC2Mapster would be more technical in nature, or maybe hybridic.  Yep, hybridic.

hybridic - being of a hybrid nature
ex.  Duran looked to Kerrigan and said, "These creatures of mine are very hybridic."
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

To all of you who it does concern, which is all of you:

I am glad to see you all absolutely concerned with the presence of this SC2Mapster. Fortunately, they appear to be nice fellows and I hope we can form a relationship in the future and 'get it on.' Although yes, they are ran by Curse, so it will beg to question exactly how community driven they are compared to a download site. This'll be the major difference between the future of Campaign Creations to any site. The new Campaign Creations will present itself as a showcase site for all projects hosted within, with a community forum. After such is established, we will begin to revamp our efforts to utilize new-age web tools to enhance the community interaction with tutorials, questions, etc to be solved through a more widely participated system rather than one single editor (that being myself) doing all the work to update and host tutorials.

We shall see what the future holds.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Marco wrote: Remember, map development and campaign community aren't necessarily associated even though they are closely related.
That is the critical difference. Like wc3c was with wc3, Sc2mapster is oriented primarily around individual maps and not mods or campaigns. Even Hive workshop is still just oriented around maps with the very rare campaign because the majority of members there do not possess the skills or desire to make large projects. SA became the host of all the major campaign projects save WoS, but virtually none of them ever reached release, and saw the most campaign-related activity as a result.

What CC needs now is to show it's alive and active. Maybe if we released something regularly... some way of communicating to people. Articles are boring. No one visits forums. We can't make videos... maybe... audio shows? What about a podcast? Does that sound like a neat idea to you guys? A podcast run by the staff, regularly released on specific intervals. Sounds pretty cool to me! Maybe if we show we can keep a podcast going we could use our other outlets - like perhaps my youtube channel, and Whiplash's connections - to get the word out who we are and what we do.

Oh what a golden opportunity that would have been.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Keep in mind we are different people than we were 15 years ago and don't have the same disposable time. I long for the days when I could churn things out pretty fast, but then, I didn't have anything else better to do back then.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah. That's kind of like when I'd tell Magic/Xaran, "We really need some new blood to bring back the life to this community".
Black Dream
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Black Dream »

I decided to look at the cc2000 map and it gave me an idea.

Perhaps we could create a map/whatever to act as a teaser or an advertisement for CC.  It could give a teaser of every campaign, or something along those lines.
As the size of the explosion increases, the number of social situations it can not solve approaches zero.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

Mancatcher commentaries and podcasts. Hilarity ensues.
Magic
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Magic »

IskatuMesk wrote: Yeah. That's kind of like when I'd tell Magic/Xaran, "We really need some new blood to bring back the life to this community".
Eh? You've never ever said that, not once!

Spoiler
Joke!
[b]- Magic[/b]
"[i]Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash! Be water my friend.[/i]" - BL
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

I've been telling lav we essentially need new blood for months... he says we got big plans but will we actually end up getting any content out? I am not so optimistic beyond Oracle/RCX.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯