Introductions and Questions from an old forumer

Moderator: Milldawg

Razzy
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Introductions and Questions from an old forumer

Post by Razzy »

Hi all. Some of you may remember me as Raziel, Razzy, or Queitus. I was here when CC first opened, lurking for a while and then starting to post some time around 1999 or 2000. I was a silly little kid and pretended to be a veteran mapmaker. I did make some pretty fantastic one-offs but nothing like the grand campaigns that played around in my imagination. I have given half a thought to digging around in old hard drives for my maps but it remains to be seen whether the data can be dredged. I just finished reading the History of CC archived thread and the thread about Rua's suicide. The first left me in a fit of nostalgia and the second left me confused and a little hurt. It's amazing that something from so long ago, and a friendship that was entirely net-based, could generate a stab as deep as this. Rua was one of the big personalities around here and reflected a community aesthetic that I haven't found in such totality in any other area of my life. Alas, another in a series of return threads. It seems that every time I come back, I have to remake this username. Some things never change...

And for anyone who cares, it seems that my main frustration with Starcraft and campaign making never coming to fruition is that at heart I was never a gamer, it was never my main passion and it took me a few years to find my real one. I had creative energies and didn't know how or where to direct them. Luckily I discovered that I had a knack for music, and spent a lot of time and effort fostering this passion. It is now my career and I play full time with a road band while writing and arranging music for my own jazz dectet and quintet when I am back at home. Coincidentally one of the fellows in the road band has Starcraft and I've installed it again after about 7 years of not even touching it. Full circle much?

Well anyway, my problem is this. I was able to find a very inexpensive laptop to replace my failing toshiba but it comes with one essential problem: Windows Vista. Vista sort of sucks in many ways, but one way is that I don't seem to be able to run StarDraft or any sort of mods to play campaigns that use cwads or exe mod packages. Am I forgetting some vital step? I've installed Stardraft but even the emerald staredit patch just makes it crash. I am using a later version of the game that doesn't require the CD to be in drive for gameplay. Could that have something to do with it? Or will the program that allows you to modify to any earlier version of Broodwar patches help me out? Please let me know if you have run into this problem before and just send me an email at queitus@hotmail.com, as I will not likely be checking this forum frequently.

Also, just as an aside, if I am able to find those maps on my old harddrive, I'll put them somewhere on the internet for upload if anyone is interested. At least a handful of you played my maps in the past and seemed to derive some enjoyment out of them so it couldn't hurt to put them up and see what kind of silly things I was creating at that age.

Take care, I'll stop in from time to time and check out what's going on in my old forum. At the time I was on here, posting and bnetting a lot, I was suffering through a lot of emotional problems and often this community really kept my chin up. It's nice to see some of the familiar names still around, and to those I'd like to say, you've done more for me than you'll probably ever realize.

Peace.

-Razzy
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Introductions and Questions from an old forumer

Post by IskatuMesk »

Incompatible, no way around it unless you dual boot.

lol @ vista hate
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

IIRC, assuming the mods weren't made with Starfgraft, you could converts a few of those cwads into MPQs and then run them using MPDraft. Even then I presume firegraft could help with that.

Failing that, you could install VMWare  or VirtualBox and make a virtual machine with Win98 with Starcraft installed. A mess, but failproof.

Also, hihi Razzy.
_-|-_
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Ah I remember you as Quietus, ahoy there! (i used to go by mantisscreamer)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Razzy

Post by Razzy »

Thanks for the advice. I'll give MPQDraft a shot.

EDIT: big nevermind. It looks like there is enough out there for my purposes still on this site. Not into doing any huge mod stuff, just advanced staredit. I'll check back in after I've tried to get EDAST to run properly.
Last edited by Razzy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

I remember you!  You were always impossible to understand. :P
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Welcome back, Raziel!  We missed you!
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Razzy

Post by Razzy »

Hey guys! So I tried to run exe's via MPQDraft for EDAST and Newrand Citadel with the same effect: windows shuts down Starcrtaft immediately because of "data execution prevention." I put MPQDraft on the list for programs that are safe from this feature, but I can't get Starcraft to get on the list. It prevents me from doing so, ironically. I have no idea how to do a double boot but I'm willing to try it at this point. Any other vista victims err users know how to get around this? Granted I was using .exe's, not specifically mpq's but I figure it's probably going to be the same result.

Edit: well, it seems I got Newrand's exe to work after doing the disable dep trick found elsewhere on this forum. But Edast does not work. When I run that exe, it wants to run via stardraft, whereas messiah00guy's exe opens starcraft right up. Any idears?
Last edited by Razzy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

IIR there was an ancient tool called as exe2cwad. You would use to convert the SECWADs as normal CWADs. Then just use yet another converter called something like cwd2mpq (or was is straight exe2mpq? bah, dont remeber), whihc you will use to convert into an MPQ, that you can run through mpqdraft.
_-|-_
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Long workaround:

Extract all the files in patch_rt.mpq (you might need to use an old patch depending on the mod, not sure)
Extract all the files from the SEMPQ or MPQ mod into the same folder, overwriting as necessary. (winMPQ et al should be able to open SEMPQs)
Create a new MPQ and add all the files in your folder to it.
Rename patch_rt.mpq to something else, and rename your new MPQ patch_rt.mpq
Run Starcraft.

Obviously it won't work for anything that modifies UI and such.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Raziel! :D SUP!
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Aegis
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Aegis »

I remember all those names.  I just don't remember when they were every used. :P  Beyond that, what's up?
Crap, dung, and everything that stands alone...
Magic
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Magic »

*Lifts top hat in salutation*

RIP Rua.

I agree with much of what you said. It's all text messages sent over the internet... yet means so much to so many.

While in this generation of the community, people are using Facebook and more easily mingling with their 'real life'.

The times they are a-changin' ...
Last edited by Magic on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]- Magic[/b]
"[i]Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash! Be water my friend.[/i]" - BL
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I don't use facebook other than to get phone numbers of cheap blondes.

That's not mingling with "real life" at all, that's just business practice silly goat.
Magic

Post by Magic »

IskatuMesk wrote: I don't use facebook other than to get phone numbers of cheap blondes.

That's not mingling with "real life" at all, that's just business practice silly goat.
I disagree. Originally we just had forums and IM programs, people were hidden behind an alias and an avatar pic, that was generally all we knew of them. With Facebook you can find out a lot more about them - what people look like, what they are doing in real life, their friends, see their updates, etc.
[b]- Magic[/b]
"[i]Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash! Be water my friend.[/i]" - BL