Page 2 of 7

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 pm
by DrumsofWar
I've tried to forget the really bad independent knockoffs and usually, the expense is the excuse but the ones I remember are the ones with a bigger developer budget that just wind up tripping over themselves.  Command & Conquer basically after the second game was a big example of this for me.

You can get the same boring tank and bunker gameplay in every RTS from Starcraft to Rise of Nations with better results.  I know a lot of people here like it, but I tried it way back when and a few times in between but have yet to think it's any different.

And of course, come the movie tie-in or TV tie-in games.  Goldeneye 64 being the exception that proves the rule, about 95% of this category was complete crap including the Battlestar Galactica game which was crap compared to the FREE DEMO FREESPACE 2 MOD that blew it away in mission design, graphics, voice acting, gameplay, and everything else.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm
by Xelxiuz
Goldeneye 64 was very amazing, I remember the only reason we played Nightfire over it when we brought all the consoles together was because the Nightfire multiplayer had sexy music.

I mean wtf man, why couldn't Halo just enable it's music in multiplayer for casuals? The music was half the appeal.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 pm
by bajadulce
haha!  There's probably a thousand useless games for every good one that's for sure.  Maybe the title of the thread should have been the most disappointing games or useless time spent playing a game you now hate, cause sounds like you all have invested some time in a lot of these games.

Some disappointments for me:
Civ3 and up.  Was expecting more I suppose.  I still find SMAC the best turn-based game ever.
SMAC expansion.  Wow I can't even remember the name.  Hated it.
Diablo Hellfire as well as LOD ruined the fun for some reason.
RedAlert3.  Wow 3D RTS games ruin the charm in my opinion.  RedAlert2/Yuri Revenge was a blast to go head to head with my nephew till the wee hours of the night.  fun memories.
SC2 will have to grow on me.  Not crazy about the look of the units.  Ya the environment is dazzling, but the units and their place just don't have that pop.

Guess I just need to "PLAY" video games again rather than spending so much time fiddling with them.  I've probably spent too much time modding, but that's what I do in real life.  Modifying anything I can get my hands on is just what keeps me happy.

And screw that clown that says he hates surfing and smilies ahead of time.  Just getting that out of the way right now! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:17 am
by Archangel
IskatuMesk wrote:Warcraft 3.


Legion wrote:I also despise anything that bears the name Command & Conquer. It's uninspired, boring and shitty.


Rock on, Pretentious Anti-Fun Brigade.

Any PC game that has no multipayer capabilities is worthless. Even Solitaire. Because that CAN be played multiplayer! I played with my gran'ma once. It was still pretty boring but, it's the principle.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 am
by Legion
Archangel wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote:Warcraft 3.


Legion wrote:I also despise anything that bears the name Command & Conquer. It's uninspired, boring and shitty.


Rock on, Pretentious Anti-Fun Brigade.


Who you calling pretentious, shameless plug in every other thread?

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:34 am
by Archangel
Legion wrote:
Archangel wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote:Warcraft 3.


Legion wrote:I also despise anything that bears the name Command & Conquer. It's uninspired, boring and shitty.


Rock on, Pretentious Anti-Fun Brigade.


Who you calling pretentious, shameless plug in every other thread?


I'm sorry, were you trying to make "pot meet kettle" with an apple and an orange?

Let's just file that under "not even win in theory." No need to thicken the 'Epic Fail folder,' know what I'm sayin'?

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 am
by Legion
Archangel wrote:
Legion wrote:
Archangel wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote:Warcraft 3.


Legion wrote:I also despise anything that bears the name Command & Conquer. It's uninspired, boring and shitty.


Rock on, Pretentious Anti-Fun Brigade.


Who you calling pretentious, shameless plug in every other thread?


I'm sorry, were you trying to make "pot meet kettle" with an apple and an orange?

Let's just file that under "not even win in theory." No need to thicken the 'Epic Fail folder,' know what I'm sayin'?


Yes I was, and it looks like I pushed your buttons enough for me to call it win.

You talk cool, man, but there's no need for throwing more mud. Call somebody things, you better be expecting something back.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am
by Lavarinth
Archangel wrote:Any PC game that has no multipayer capabilities is worthless. Even Solitaire. Because that CAN be played multiplayer! I played with my gran'ma once. It was still pretty boring but, it's the principle.


Arkham Asylum? I thought that was one of the greatest games I've ever played.

bajadulce wrote:Civ3 and up.  Was expecting more I suppose.  I still find SMAC the best turn-based game ever.


Civ3?! I loved Civ3. I despised 4 with a passion, felt like a kiddy game and I couldn't take it seriously. Civ5, however, looks promising.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am
by mAc Chaos
civ2 > all civs

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am
by Archangel
Lavarinth wrote:
Archangel wrote:Any PC game that has no multipayer capabilities is worthless. Even Solitaire. Because that CAN be played multiplayer! I played with my gran'ma once. It was still pretty boring but, it's the principle.


Arkham Asylum? I thought that was one of the greatest games I've ever played.


The exception to every rule still applies, of course.

Legion wrote:Yes I was, and it looks like I pushed your buttons enough for me to call it win.

You talk cool, man, but there's no need for throwing more mud. Call somebody things, you better be expecting something back.

Know what I'm sayin'?


Your arrant deficiency of wit sarcasm flabbergasts the gods, sir.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 am
by Legion
Archangel wrote:Your arrant deficiency of wit sarcasm flabbergasts the gods, sir.


I'm sorry, I had no idea.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 am
by Archangel
Legion wrote:
Archangel wrote:Your arrant deficiency of wit sarcasm flabbergasts the gods, sir.


I'm sorry, I had no idea.



Barber's cats usually don't. No blood no foul.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 am
by Legion
Archangel wrote:
Legion wrote:
Archangel wrote:Your arrant deficiency of wit sarcasm flabbergasts the gods, sir.


I'm sorry, I had no idea.



Barber's cats usually don't. No blood no foul.


All that name-calling, man, I gotta ask... What's the deal?

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 am
by bajadulce
Civ3 was a great game Lav.  I was just disappointed after enjoying so much of Civ2 and SMAC on that old Windows95/98 comp lol.  I don't own Civ4 (Civ3 is the last video game purchase of any kind actually), but it looks to play more like Civ2 which I might enjoy more.    I think the key to Civ4 is Sid Meier's involvement again.  I really like his games.

I found out about Civ5 just recently while visiting my "sports" forum @ TL.net (I love sports, but have never played any sports video games.) and it looks promising.  I'd love to see a return to SMAC myself.

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm
by Lavarinth
bajadulce wrote:Civ3 was a great game Lav.   I was just disappointed after enjoying so much of Civ2 and SMAC on that old Windows95/98 comp lol.   I don't own Civ4 (Civ3 is the last video game purchase of any kind actually), but it looks to play more like Civ2 which I might enjoy more.    I think the key to Civ4 is Sid Meier's involvement again.  I really like his games.

I found out about Civ5 just recently while visiting my "sports" forum @ TL.net (I love sports, but have never played any sports video games.) and it looks promising.  I'd love to see a return to SMAC myself.


I'd love to play SMAC, and have wondered why there isn't a sequel considering all the sci-fi hype these days.