The Useless Games Thread

Moderator: Milldawg

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Post by Lavarinth »

Remain on topic or this thread will be locked.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

This thread's been off and on topic for a couple of pages now. You're right, though. Off-discussions are usually a lot more fun, though...

Aaaanyway, I wanted to add Diablo 2 to my list of crappy games. When I got it, I was amazed to see the millions of CDs I had to install to get this thing working. And when it eventually worked, I was introduced to a world where all the originality and mystery and FUN of the first game had made way for stretched out storylines, poor voice acting, repetitive annoying gameplay and sad NPCs. When Blizzard announced Diablo 3 a couple of years back, I had that same feeling again... I do so hope it's going to be worth my money, but I've recently sort of concluded that most video-game sequels suck. Half-Life being the exception to the rule.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Having played Diablo 3 a few times, I can say it doesn't feel "dark" and "scary" like the first did. Then again, we were also all over a decade younger.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

No... it has nothing to do with being younger. It's because there isn't naked, decapitated corpses hanging from walls. It's because of "exaggerated proportions", because their graphics clearly are very alpha, ect. Blizzard is fully capable of making the game scary and atmospheric if they want do.

And remember kids, Lavarinth doesn't mean Dark as in you can't see anything. He means Dark as in God of War/Dante's Inferno.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

IskatuMesk wrote: No... it has nothing to do with being younger. It's because there isn't naked, decapitated corpses hanging from walls. It's because of "exaggerated proportions", because their graphics clearly are very alpha, ect. Blizzard is fully capable of making the game scary and atmospheric if they want do.

And remember kids, Lavarinth doesn't mean Dark as in you can't see anything. He means Dark as in God of War/Dante's Inferno.
I accept your statement and agree. But, keep one thing in mind, if anyone has every played Sanitarium, you're in luck. The level designer of this classic game is currently the level designer of Diablo 3. I spoke to him a few times, actually, and got a great vibe from him. Granted from what I've played of Diablo 3, it wasn't much to make such a judgment about being a dark mood game not that I think about it. The areas were the indoor abandoned looking catacomb/castle, and an outdoor desert.

Sanitarium (note: NOT A USELESS GAME, ACTUALLY AMAZING ADVENTURE GAME)

[imgwh 640x480]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll28 ... arium1.jpg[/imgwh]
(The guy above is hitting his head against the wall repeatedly, and you hear the squishy effect of him having been doing it for far too long. Middle is player, bottom is a guy doing the chicken dance.

[imgwh 640x480]http://www.gamershell.com/static/screen ... 0_full.jpg[/imgwh]
Yep. Bodies everywhere,

And more: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sanitarium/screenshots

Also, a useless game:

[imgwh 320x240]http://old-wizard.com/wp-content/upload ... rman14.jpg[/imgwh]
Last edited by Lavarinth on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Looks nice. Diablo 3's environments look good so far, just very 2003 - no bump mapping from what I could tell, very WoW-esque textures. I'm hoping/expecting a big upgrade down the line like what sc2 got.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Lavarinth wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote: No... it has nothing to do with being younger. It's because there isn't naked, decapitated corpses hanging from walls. It's because of "exaggerated proportions", because their graphics clearly are very alpha, ect. Blizzard is fully capable of making the game scary and atmospheric if they want do.

I accept your statement and agree. But, keep one thing in mind, if anyone has every played Sanitarium, you're in luck. The level designer of this classic game is currently the level designer of Diablo 3. I spoke to him a few times, actually, and got a great vibe from him. Granted from what I've played of Diablo 3, it wasn't much to make such a judgment about being a dark mood game not that I think about it. The areas were the indoor abandoned looking catacomb/castle, and an outdoor desert.

Sanitarium (note: NOT A USELESS GAME, ACTUALLY AMAZING ADVENTURE GAME)

[imgwh 640x480]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll28 ... arium1.jpg[/imgwh]
(The guy above is hitting his head against the wall repeatedly, and you hear the squishy effect of him having been doing it for far too long. Middle is player, bottom is a guy doing the chicken dance.

[imgwh 640x480]http://www.gamershell.com/static/screen ... 0_full.jpg[/imgwh]
Yep. Bodies everywhere,

And more: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sanitarium/screenshots
I had forgotten about this one! I also loved the outdoor areas of Sanitarium.

So cool the guy's working on D3.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Beautiful game, personally, and yes- Very much forgotten. I was trying to find the scene where a circus is on an island, and it's surrounded by bloodied water and bodies everywhere. Figured that'd pleasure people's thoughts on the mastermind behind that being in Diablo 3.
- - Lavarinth
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

I picked up a copy of Sanitarium several years ago, remembering a very high review of it in PC Gamer, but I have yet to play it. I don't know if it works on WinXP or Win7, though, as some older games have issues on newer operating systems.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Hercanic wrote: I picked up a copy of Sanitarium several years ago, remembering a very high review of it in PC Gamer, but I have yet to play it. I don't know if it works on WinXP or Win7, though, as some older games have issues on newer operating systems.
Works- Amazing game, play it.
- - Lavarinth
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

My useless:  Red Alert 3 Uprising.

When I mean useless, I go for the unit additions EA (Extreme Anal) made to spice up the factions.  It just made up a mess.  Now go with me when I mention this:

- Soviet Bike and sidecar:  No sense, just fast artillery harassment bullshit.
- Rocket Sickle:  Damn out of proportion and humiliated a unit I felt some sympathy for.  And because fans wanted it!  We can't go just making everything people want, do we???
- Grinder:  Wiped off unexpectedly the heavy tank's secondary.
- Flying head:  Unfair win for japans.
- Archer and pike mech:  Absurd.
- Big plane: no complaints, just felt it could be a vehicle transport.
- Freeze guy:  SC II marauder suit ripped off.
- hover tank:  Guns as normal, stationed artillery as secondary...  Need to tell or should I draw a picture???
- robot tank:  No use.

Not to mention original gameplay in RA3 was already screwed?  Why I mention this?  Terror Drones.  In RA 2 you needed to get IFVs with engineers to drive'em off, just this as solution, and if the guy didn't get it, good for him, it's a lesson taught.  Now, EA swarmed so much those fuckin' repair drones, you'd need to get'em in the middle of a battle AFAR from a base to make'em work!  And they'd still be destroyed before entering targets.

And, Mesk?  You saying that Generals was okay for you, considering it was EA that made it??  lol, you forgot todays medications?  ???
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

l)ark_ssj9kevin
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by l)ark_ssj9kevin »

Tiberian Sun.
I played it when I was young. Having been fed the RTS genre already, it was very boring and slow compared to StarCraft or Age of Empires.

EDIT: Oh hey look we have a HATE C&C club going on here.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

I liked Tiberium Sun.  Didn't hold my attention like SC has, but it was a fun little diversion.  The C&Cs after it though?  Meh.
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

Falchion wrote: My useless:  Red Alert 3 Uprising.

When I mean useless, I go for the unit additions EA (Extreme Anal) made to spice up the factions.  It just made up a mess.  Now go with me when I mention this:

- Soviet Bike and sidecar:  No sense, just fast artillery harassment bullshit.
- Rocket Sickle:  Damn out of proportion and humiliated a unit I felt some sympathy for.  And because fans wanted it!  We can't go just making everything people want, do we???
- Grinder:  Wiped off unexpectedly the heavy tank's secondary.
- Flying head:  Unfair win for japans.
- Archer and pike mech:  Absurd.
- Big plane: no complaints, just felt it could be a vehicle transport.
- Freeze guy:  SC II marauder suit ripped off.
- hover tank:  Guns as normal, stationed artillery as secondary...  Need to tell or should I draw a picture???
- robot tank:  No use.

Not to mention original gameplay in RA3 was already screwed?  Why I mention this?  Terror Drones.  In RA 2 you needed to get IFVs with engineers to drive'em off, just this as solution, and if the guy didn't get it, good for him, it's a lesson taught.  Now, EA swarmed so much those fuckin' repair drones, you'd need to get'em in the middle of a battle AFAR from a base to make'em work!  And they'd still be destroyed before entering targets.
Best review yet. I hate repair drones. They completely remove the purpose of a repair platform. Now players don't even have to think twice. I hated them in Generals, though, because they could be upgraded with lazers for anti-missile ownage. Completely removed the GLA as a legitimate faction entirely.

But I will always love C&C for its shameless tongue-in-cheek approach to damn near everything. And it's always awesome watching B List Has-beens make a return to the screen to tell me what to do.
[color=#ff9227]- Archangel
Best Damn Voice Actor There Ever Was[/color]