It's been fun, I'm going to miss you guys...

Moderator: Milldawg

Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

It's been fun, I'm going to miss you guys...

Post by Marco »

In just a few months, this site will be brimming with activity.  Say hello to an even more crowded forum than CC in its prime.  With so many posts and so many people, I'm sure we'll all miss 'this'.  'This' is our tightly knit community, the committed of the most committed.  The ones who stuck around long after the hype and campaign creation died down.  But for every one of us there are now, there will be a dozen other new faces and new posts.  Gone will be the days when we can log in and read every single new post, unless we want to spend all day typing on a forum.  And knowing the name of every regular forumer will simply be impossible.

We'll always have 'this'.  Salute!
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: It's been fun, I'm going to miss you guys...

Post by Legion »

Desler wrote: In just a few months, this site will be brimming with activity.  Say hello to an even more crowded forum than CC in its prime.  With so many posts and so many people, I'm sure we'll all miss 'this'.  'This' is our tightly knit community, the committed of the most committed.  The ones who stuck around long after the hype and campaign creation died down.  But for every one of us there are now, there will be a dozen other new faces and new posts.  Gone will be the days when we can log in and read every single new post, unless we want to spend all day typing on a forum.  And knowing the name of every regular forumer will simply be impossible.

We'll always have 'this'.  Salute!
Hey Desler,

If by 'this', you mean the group of individuals that were here ten years ago, then you haven't had 'this' for many years. Gone have been the Auspex days and the Desler days and the Oracle days for a long, long time. What was left after the turn of the century (or, you know, somewhere round that time) was nothing more than a bunch of wannabees and wannahaves and wannalooklikeits and wannatryandgetitbacks, and to this flippin' day, we haven't seen anything else. The Real Heyday lasted only 1.5 to 2 years. I wasn't part of that Heyday in terms of creativity and all, but I was a happy audience. The New Pups never managed to recapture that glory, but then, neither did the Old Dogs. Not even you, I'm sorry to say.

Starcraft 2 will undoubtedly bring life to this here community forum. Campaigns will pop up like everywhere you look, only because the past decade has made it so rediculously easy for people to get 'out there'. Everybody's a gamer. Everybody's a creator.

The mediocre shall inherit the Earth. Or, you know, 'this'.

See you.
Last edited by Legion on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

I was specifically referring to the people who stuck around after the hype who formed a group of collective minds with collective interests.  I wasn't trying to say 'this' was superior, but there is a charm about 'this' which will be missed.  I haven't tried to revitalize the community personally, it only has a window of revitalization of about 2 years from the previous game release.  Beyond that, most gamers move on to the next bigger or better thing after that time.  

That post actually makes you sound bitter, as if you think this site has been mismanaged horribly or something.  I think it's been optimally managed these past 3 years and has still managed to encourage content creation long after the games glory days (via the contests), even if that content creation has not been from bonafide staff members.  If that's your opinion, you're welcome to it - it doesn't upset me or speak badly of you.  Its just a bit surprising to see though coming from you.

EDIT:  In your original post you seemed much more upset before you edited it.  ;)
Last edited by Marco on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Lavarinth should make a forum that is only accessible by those with the "CC Veteran/Staff" status.  Then we can all make posts there about how much cooler we are than all of those newbies, and high-five each other.

This is clearly the optimal solution.

EDIT:  I actually think that making this forum would not be a good idea at all, and totally do not intend for it to be read as a real suggestion (lolmissingpost)
Last edited by Mr. on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Frozty
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Frozty »

Well, all I know is that no matter how big the site may grow to become or how many new and great campaigns come about, 'this' group is still going to be around even after all of 'that' dies down. At least I hope so. I have stuck around since the 'heydays' (mostly as a lurker, but was very active in FF SS back in the day) and what always brings me back is the people that stuck to it. Those of us that are STILL here talking about random daily happenings and complaining about everything that has ever been created.

I am and will always be proud to call myself a member (albeit, not super active, lately) of this awesome community.

Thank you!
[imgwh 500x100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/FrozenTomato/Frozty21.jpg[/imgwh]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Am I a "wannatryandgetitbacks" for planting this site onto solid grounds after a chaotic hand-me-down of administrations?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Desler wrote: I was specifically referring to the people who stuck around after the hype who formed a group of collective minds with collective interests.  I wasn't trying to say 'this' was superior, but there is a charm about 'this' which will be missed.  I haven't tried to revitalize the community personally, it only has a window of revitalization of about 2 years from the previous game release.  Beyond that, most gamers move on to the next bigger or better thing after that time. 

That post actually makes you sound bitter, as if you think this site has been mismanaged horribly or something.  I think it's been optimally managed these past 3 years and has still managed to encourage content creation long after the games glory days (via the contests), even if that content creation has not been from bonafide staff members.  If that's your opinion, you're welcome to it - it doesn't upset me or speak badly of you.  Its just a bit surprising to see though coming from you.

EDIT:  In your original post you seemed much more upset before you edited it.  ;)
Yeah, I thought it was a bit too early in the day to be talking about the "Earth" part. Hence the addition.

As for this site's management, I think this has always been managed well, but good management cannot bring back the past. Over the past years, I've always felt a little tingly hee-hee sensation whenever you or Oracle popped up with some new stuff. But I think (and I've only recently come to this conclusion) that the importance of content creation expires after a year or two.

As for the original purpose of this thread, which I apparently got wrong, you're completely right. But still I say, 'the days' have long been over. At least five years, but I'm leaning towards ten. I wonder if we'll all be together again for Starcraft 2. Some have moved on to bigger things, indeed. Some are dead. Some have grown up, haha, and some have always been there.

I think you and I are on the same page, actually. 'This' will indeed be missed, but maybe we've been missing it for a while already.

EDIT:
Mr. wrote: Lavarinth should make a forum that is only accessible by those with the "CC Veteran/Staff" status.  Then we can all make posts there about how much cooler we are than all of those newbies, and high-five each other.

This is clearly the optimal solution.

EDIT:  I actually think that making this forum would not be a good idea at all, and totally do not intend for it to be read as a real suggestion (lolmissingpost)
Me being better and cooler than everyone else, I understood your sarcasm without your edit. That does not mean, however, that I agree. I think it's a marvellous idea.
Lavarinth wrote: Am I a "wannatryandgetitbacks" for planting this site onto solid grounds after a chaotic hand-me-down of administrations?
No, my good sir. You're a "wannaseewhatsnext" in my book.
Last edited by Legion on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

Legion wrote: Me being better and cooler than everyone else, I understood your sarcasm without your edit. That does not mean, however, that I agree. I think it's a marvellous idea.
There was a post that was made after mine, which disappeared after I saw it, that provoked my edit.  I seriously do think it would be a bad idea.  I think that we can all have our discussions on the general forum, and let any new people be a part of it.  Making a secret elite forum will not preserve "these days."  It would make unnecessary divides.

Yes, there will (hopefully) be lots of new members coming in, and changing the feel of the forum.  But I welcome the change.  I think I will miss this, too, but I'm definitely looking forward to having lots of new regulars.  No, none of them will fit right in, at first, but sooner or later, they'll end up as part of the group.  Just like people already have been, for years.  It hasn't been nearly as big of a flow as it had been at one point, but there have always been new people finding their way into the community.  Just because they haven't been around forever, doesn't mean they're not a part of it.

The same thing will happen in 2011 when SC2 comes out, it will just be happening at a much more rapid pace.

Unless, of course, I am COMPLETELY underestimating the flow of new people, and the forums will be completely overwhelmed.  New posts showing up every time you hit refresh.  If it gets THAT crazy, then... maybe an old farts forum really wouldn't be a bad idea.  But then again, deciding who gets access and who doesn't would not be a pretty thing, and for that reason, I still think I'll have to be against it.
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

All CC had going for it over other sites was more stringent quality control. And now Mesk, I guess, but I doubt SC2 modding will have nearly as much success as SC1.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Step One:  Create Popular Campaign
Step Two:  Use popularity as leverage to attract other authors, thus creating a sucessful campaign site
Step Three:  ? ? ?  (could never figure this one out, thus I never got to step 4)
Step Four:  Profit

If you have people like Oracle and Laconious making SC2 campaigns, step one should be easy enough.  When they release anything, the key is to email every StarCraft news site in the community and make everything into a bigger deal that it actually is.  Don't forget to try to bring in people to write tutorials after that.  Or simply absorb/merge with other sites to form a mighty conglomerate.  
Last edited by Marco on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- Bryce Littlefield
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I've attracted a fair number of lurkers from a few sites and even a few posting members.

Will CC spring to life with sc2? Maybe.

For a while, CC will be competing with the two thousand one-hit wonder forums and sites that have sprung up with the Advent of sc2. Almost no one in the Blizzard community knows of CC's existence right now. It will take good PR, good hype, and some interesting projects to start gaining interest. But above all, we'll need to wait for all those stupid sites to get ignored/die off.

Although it is extremely unlikely I'll be making any kind of a project in sc2 and will probably "leave", as in stop posting for the most part, I'll still be around here, just as a lurker.

My glory days died in 2002-2003. They'll never come back. What I have here... is a shade of the past that I can never bring back.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

IskatuMesk wrote: I've attracted a fair number of lurkers from a few sites and even a few posting members.

Will CC spring to life with sc2? Maybe.

For a while, CC will be competing with the two thousand one-hit wonder forums and sites that have sprung up with the Advent of sc2. Almost no one in the Blizzard community knows of CC's existence right now. It will take good PR, good hype, and some interesting projects to start gaining interest. But above all, we'll need to wait for all those stupid sites to get ignored/die off.

Although it is extremely unlikely I'll be making any kind of a project in sc2 and will probably "leave", as in stop posting for the most part, I'll still be around here, just as a lurker.

My glory days died in 2002-2003. They'll never come back. What I have here... is a shade of the past that I can never bring back.
People like you and DI are the 'unsung' heroes of CC.  The ones who made a lot of stuff happen but never got a lot of recognition.  DI was a huge part of CC's success, his effort in the field of research and tutorials in the beginnings of the community were essential.  You need more than campaigns to grow a large fan base.  Campaigns are all one-hit wonders.  They bring people in, but don't encourage them to stick around.

That changed for me once I started releasing Celestial Irruption, just did that one episode at a time.  It encouraged discussion, repeat viewership, and anticipation.  Celestial Reverie will follow a similar release style.

-- Bryce Littlefield
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Desler wrote: Or simply absorb/merge with other sites to form a mighty conglomerate.  
You realize my entire administration career has been done by absorbing other sites. I am blob.
- - Lavarinth
Negi

Post by Negi »

Wait what about that one site that you made?  Ashworld's lava or something.  All of the pages were framed with the zerg UI, right?  Also, can we start a war with SA or no?  Is there an official policy on that whole thing?  Is PCM still a staff member over there, because I know that he's still a retard.
Last edited by Negi on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=200]Post Count +1[/size]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Yes, then I absorbed Epoch Studious (War`Giants site) and made Alkali Studios. Which we then absorbed Ancilla Editing Network and called ourselves GameProc. Then we got tired and give everything to SA. Then I snuck in here and some fellows wanted to be hosted here.
- - Lavarinth