Black soccer star falsely accused of rape then convicted

Moderator: Milldawg

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Black soccer star falsely accused of rape then convicted

Post by DrumsofWar »

The story at ESPN magazine

More or less, Eric Frimpong immigrated to this country from Ghana and then became a soccer star on the way to the MLS right out of school when he was accused of rape.  He was then convicted of this crime.

The only problem with all this?  The female victim had a near-fatal BAC, there was no genetic evidence linking him to the crime, there were bite marks that did not match his, there was semen found belonging to her jealous boyfriend, and that the police never bothered to consider the boyfriend a suspect (which is almost standard procedure in teenage rapes).

The judge proclaimed that he had never seen such incriminating evidence after the conviction by an all-white jury and gave him "just" 6 years due to the community support on Eric's behalf.  There's currently an appeal in progress which might be successful just based on the pure lack of evidence alone.
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Re: Black soccer star falsely accused of rape then convicted

Post by Sodon »

This has been your weekly broadcast of DoW Injustice.
Stupazin'.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I just read this entire article and I'm as much touched as the rest of the supporters. I rather see the judge placed on trial for racism, citing that in all his years this was the most solid case of rape. Sure it was.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

I remember reading how some prosecutors were exasperated with acquittals in many criminal cases because the jury wouldn't convict without definite forensic evidence whereas this seems to be the exact opposite.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Lavarinth wrote: I just read this entire article and I'm as much touched as the rest of the supporters. I rather see the judge placed on trial for racism, citing that in all his years this was the most solid case of rape. Sure it was.
It's a shame racism is still a serious social problem. But what is worse is the Justice to condemn a man, just for being black, for a crime he did not commit. I can't believe that despite the technologically advanced we're we can't be able to solve these problems that're only related to absurd beliefs.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

omega20 wrote: I can't believe that despite the technologically advanced we're we can't be able to solve these problems that're only related to absurd beliefs.
Technology has nothing to due with morals.  Although technology like the internet can be tools to advance moral and spiritual development, they are rarely used for that purpose.  Unless someone invents an anti-racist missle, I don't think technology will help us much in that regard.  Heredity, upbringing, education; those determine the measure of a man.  It's a sweet science.  Hah.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Desler wrote:
omega20 wrote: I can't believe that despite the technologically advanced we're we can't be able to solve these problems that're only related to absurd beliefs.
Technology has nothing to due with morals.  Although technology like the internet can be tools to advance moral and spiritual development, they are rarely used for that purpose.  Unless someone invents an anti-racist missle, I don't think technology will help us much in that regard.  Heredity, upbringing, education; those determine the measure of a man.  It's a sweet science.  Hah.
Yeah. I know. The human's mind abilities and qualities are what I'm comparing, not necessarily the creations. What I did mean was that, despite our brains are able to develop the brightest ideas and to design the most advanced machinery and technologies, they are still trapped in old beliefs like racism and self-preservation. We're advanced in our current life-style, not in our thoughts and beliefs. ;)
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

The guy being convicted, Eric Frimpong, he doesn't seem like such a bad guy.
Hard to believe that negative crap beliefs are still about. Heck, it even feels evident in the trial.

Sure there are (jerks) who would consider Eric to be an ass, but his inmates in prison say otherwise.
"I figure language is a poor enough a means of communication as it is so we have to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damned few words that everybody understands"
~Henry Drummond, Lawyer from Inherit the Wind

First Time Attempt at an LP:
[url]https://plus.google.com/u/0/110762779327102029687/posts/A1UWNRafWZT?pid=6149648681644876370&oid=110762779327102029687P[/url]
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Desler wrote:Heredity, upbringing, education; those determine the measure of a man.  It's a sweet science.  Hah.
You left out environment. As in, breathe in a few pesky chemicals early in development that stunt your growth, and people will respond differently to the shorter you, creating different perspectives of acceptance and confidence, which then shape future actions and decisions, which create a new environment which further affects you and you it. Don't forget other aspects of your environment, either, such as friends, social atmosphere, etc. Then there's diet. Your mood, weight, and behavior are all very responsive to what you eat.

In short, there are quite a number of factors that affect our lives throughout our small existance. We make up the environment for everyone else around us, just as they are to us. Affect and be affected, push and be pushed, be angry and cause anger, we shape our lives as it shapes us.