I saw Transformers 2

Moderator: Milldawg

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

I saw Transformers 2

Post by RazorclawX »

Thumbs up. Some of the editing was pretty sloppy, but overall enjoyable.

The only time I thought about special effects is when they did the Guiness record motion picture explosion.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Re: I saw Transformers 2

Post by DrumsofWar »

Well, as the now-old saying goes, the reason they call it CGI now is because the effects are no longer "special".  I'd still have to put a second viewing of Star Trek above seeing this but most of the reviews I've read seem to suggest a cautious optimism, which is usually the tone you use when reviewing dramatic movies and not Michael Bay movies.

I am surprised you said the editing was sloppy.  One of the things he's been good at is doing slick editing cutting from one shot to another so quickly you can barely catch up.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

I saw it too. Action packed throughout pretty much the entire movie. I enjoyed it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

DrumsofWar wrote: Well, as the now-old saying goes, the reason they call it CGI now is because the effects are no longer "special". 
Supposedly the super explosion was real. More than one of the actors, in interviews, mentioned as much. I think Shia Labouf said in one interview that the look of terror on everyones' faces was real because they were really running like hell from it.

I am surprised you said the editing was sloppy.  One of the things he's been good at is doing slick editing cutting from one shot to another so quickly you can barely catch up.
They kind of flubbed and fidgeted about whether the characters were in Egypt or Jordan.

There's a part where Sam is being pinned by Megatron and has the Doctor standing on him, then the Autobots come in and suddenly Megatron is no longer pinning him down and the Doctor disappeared. It would've been okay if they saw Megatron getting shot and releasing the kid, but that part was missing.

And of course, there's the part where they're reviving Megatron; the humans scan five going down and six coming up, but one of the guys who went down got creamed. Granted, they only SHOWED Megatron going up, but when Megatron got revived there were only four guys left, so....
-- Razorclaw X
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

It was painfully exhausting. There's a reason why few liked it.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian

Post by Dread »

Eh, I had fun watching it. I went in expecting to see something more reminiscent of the original cartoon series in contrast to the first movie and I wasn't disappointed.

Although instead of choosing to include the Fallen it might have been nice to see Unicron.
... And Rodimus/ Rodimus Prime/ Hot Rod?! Where are you?!
- - - Dread
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Actions scenes were good. Rest was boring. More giant robots, less stupid kids played by bad actors plz.
Negi
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Negi »

Did not compare to the original cartoon one.  WHY DOES OPTIMUS PRIME HAVE LIPS?!
[size=200]Post Count +1[/size]
Dread

Post by Dread »

Negi wrote: Did not compare to the original cartoon one.  WHY DOES OPTIMUS PRIME HAVE LIPS?!
Eh, in the first movie he brought down a battle mask that covered his mouth and made him look more like he did in the cartoon; however, I'm not sure if the same thing happened in this movie while he was fighting. The lips thing was probably done to make people feel more comfortable sitting down to watch a bunch of giant robots talk... Making them more human, and less like giant heads without animation.

Didn't mind it so much, but would like to know if someone saw his battle mask come down in this one while he was fighting.
- - - Dread
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

AA7Dragoon wrote: It was painfully exhausting. There's a reason why few liked it.
That's not what the box office figures are saying.
-- Razorclaw X
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Because you know, they have to go see it to actually decide if they liked it or not and with what most enjoy it wouldn't make a difference how its selling.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

RazorclawX wrote: They kind of flubbed and fidgeted about whether the characters were in Egypt or Jordan.

There's a part where Sam is being pinned by Megatron and has the Doctor standing on him, then the Autobots come in and suddenly Megatron is no longer pinning him down and the Doctor disappeared. It would've been okay if they saw Megatron getting shot and releasing the kid, but that part was missing.

And of course, there's the part where they're reviving Megatron; the humans scan five going down and six coming up, but one of the guys who went down got creamed. Granted, they only SHOWED Megatron going up, but when Megatron got revived there were only four guys left, so....

That doesn't sound too terrible even if it's happening during the movie's supposed strength - the actions scenes.  In most trilogies, the second movie is usually the more incoherent one so it's to be expected but the third one will have to be good in order to wrap it up nicely.
Dread wrote: Eh, I had fun watching it. I went in expecting to see something more reminiscent of the original cartoon series in contrast to the first movie and I wasn't disappointed.

Although instead of choosing to include the Fallen it might have been nice to see Unicron.
... And Rodimus/ Rodimus Prime/ Hot Rod?! Where are you?!
Third one.  Odds are it'll be called "Transformers 3: Return to Cybertron" or something like that.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Hunter_Killers wrote: Because you know, they have to go see it to actually decide if they liked it or not and with what most enjoy it wouldn't make a difference how its selling.
You have to at least be interested in it to even get to the theater unless you're saying a lot of moviegoers are chronically prone to watch a movie regardless of whether they are interested in it-- and since my faith in humanity hasn't sunk that low I am not inclined to believe that.

Beside which, it's far too late for you; the movie already made up its budget. There's almost certainly going to be another one.
-- Razorclaw X
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

RazorclawX wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote: Because you know, they have to go see it to actually decide if they liked it or not and with what most enjoy it wouldn't make a difference how its selling.
You have to at least be interested in it to even get to the theater unless you're saying a lot of moviegoers are chronically prone to watch a movie regardless of whether they are interested in it-- and since my faith in humanity hasn't sunk that low I am not inclined to believe that.

Beside which, it's far too late for you; the movie already made up its budget. There's almost certainly going to be another one.

They will prob make it but I believe Michael Bay said in an interview that he was not going to do a third transformers movie
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

Just as a little bookend to this thread: