Star Alliance bites the dust

Moderator: Milldawg

Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: Star Alliance bites the dust

Postby Revolta » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm

CC is dead, SEN is dead, host your content privately and distribute links to people you know. In general worry about completing something before you worry about advertising it.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:33 pm

There hasn't really been new blood interested in modding for a long time, and SEN isn't active enough to accrue any interest. One has to lead by example if they're to foster a productive community, and Blizzard's community as a whole has no example to lead by except the extreme selfish greed of 2-3 individuals working largely in private and a dozen or so people who either haven't discussed their project openly or won't release it publicly altogether. RCX is basically the role model of what it takes to get engagement, and as a result he has feedback and posters interacting with his content. He's also the last of his kind around these parts.

SC2 finally launched its marketplace and the lead maps have no custom assets whatsoever, one of them doesn't even have terrain any more sophisticated than bloodbath in sc1 and the gameplay consists entirely of units auto attacking each other. When that's the idea of a marketable map you know your scene is dead.

Sc2 plays like a phone game.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

BounceHimUp
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Postby BounceHimUp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 am

If it means anything (and I'm sure it doesn't), I do intend to finish the Critter Campaign. I was hopeful that applying my modding skills to SC:R would be trivial and it would be so badass that I could port this to the new release, but since it's really clear now that that won't happen, I can justify doing what it takes to push the rest of the missions over the finish line for 1.16 (or whatever the latest regular SC version was). The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the AI editing necessary for the last mission, but it will be nice to finally put some sort of punctuation mark on my relationship with this game and the panoply of files that makes it function. It won't be some amazing tour de force of SC storytelling, but there should be a handful of things that make you think, "huh, that's kinda cool," and I will have finally finished a SC project, start to finish, and can ascend to the stars.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm

At least you can take heart in the fact that 1.16 isn't an unstable version like SCR and your campaign won't just spontaneously break a week or two after you finish it.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby WB » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:05 am

Lasted longer than most. RIP :(

Return to “General Discussion”